Am i entitled to compensation from Tesco ?

Hi , i just wondered what my rights are after finding a black ,foreign object in a food product i bought from Tesco : i found the disgusting object during cooking and returned it to my local store ( which the staff there thought quite amusing ,i.e. telling me of other customers who had found various foreign objects in food products!)
I had to pay £10 in taxis due to my health problems restricting me from using public transport and i included the receipt in my letter to their head office in Dundee as i was told i had to write to them after i telephoned. I also included a photograph of the product with the object ( which to me looked like some sort of large black insect:eek:) and was assured i would be informed of all tests as to what it was ,how ,where and when it got there etc : today i received a miserable apology from them with only £5 gift card and the tone of the letter was one of " it,s the supplier,s problem not ours"! The letter appears to be final in that i haven,t been told of any future correspondence i will receive relating to their findings ,etc : the experience of finding this in the food product has left me quite upset and disgusted and i believe Tesco are covering up by not revealing ,despite assurances ,what the object was ,etc. Am i entitled ,at least , to be reimbursed for my fares for returning the food product and also is there someone more senior i can contact regarding this? Many thanks
I,ve been here before ;)

Comments

• Halloway
    Halloway Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    What was the product you bought and how was it packaged?
  • LittleMsMandy
    LittleMsMandy Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2009 at 2:59PM
    Hi , it was Tesco Murphy,s Steak and Cheddar Mash which i used to buy on a regular basis ,until this happened. It was in a plastic microwave tray with a cardboard box and it was only when i turned the mash ,halfway during cooking as instructed on the box ,that the foreign body appeared .I have a photograph although not sure if i,m allowed to add it to show ,as an attachement?
    I,ve been here before ;)
  • shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    I don't think you can expect Tesco to pay for Taxi fares to take it back as it would have been much cheaper to have posted it. Don't blame you not buying it again, yuk!
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • LittleMsMandy
    edited 18 July 2009 at 3:10PM
    I was told by their head office that i must return in to the store for them to be able to investigate thoroughly and identify what it was ,where it was packaged ,etc .I couldn,t post it to them as say ,it had been opened and it was during cooking that i found the disgusting foreign body hence had to pay out on taxis to return it . This isn,t the first time i,ve had problems with Tesco food : some time back i bought a less expensive pasta dish which turned a yukky brown and hard but i just binned that product due to the expense involved of my returning it but this time was really something quite different.
    I,ve been here before ;)
  • melorablack
    melorablack Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    You didn't eat it and they reimbursed you for the cost of it, I'd be happy with that and be thankful you found it before you started eating it.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Fancy using a taxi costing £10 to return to the store :confused: I couldn't afford that sort of expenditure & would have just chalked the incident down to experience & chucked the pie, thankful that I hadn't eaten the object.

What I would have done is retain the packaging & written to the manufacturer enclosing the packaging. If I'd been sent a £5 voucher, which has happened to me in the past after finding a staple in a bag of salad, I'd have been perfectly happy.

Accidents happen in food processing, as they do in life & it isn't all about how much compensation you can squeeze out of somebody when a glitch happens. Nobody asked you to take a taxi, so the responsibilty for the taxi fare is yours alone.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • LittleMsMandy
    edited 19 July 2009 at 9:47AM
    I beg your POMPUS pardon ??? I,m no leech as you so rudely say and i,m sure if it were you ,you would no doubt be doing a song and dance !! I WAS TOLD BY TESCO TO RETURN IT TO THE STORE AND MY ONLY MEANS OF TRANSPORT IS TAXIS AS I AM UNABLE TO BOARD BUSES ETC DUE TO CHRONIC HELTH PROBLEMS! So before you go judging me ,please read my post carefully and thoroughly as this is not the first time i,ve had a problem with Tesco food and it wasn,t a burnt bit of food nor food related and if they have nothing to hide regards the object then they would have kept their word and told me what it was ,etc : i live quite some distaNce from the store and would incurr 3 bus journeys if i was able to use them which would actually amount to much more than £10 in taxis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I,ve been here before ;)
  • melorablack
    melorablack Posts: 1,114 Forumite
    As you have had so many problems and have been deeply scarred by your experiences I would just stop shopping at Tesco, it's too expensive anyway.
  • Halloway
    Halloway Posts: 1,612 Forumite
    Yet another leech.

No one told you to go out your way and use taxis.

Furthermore it could have been anything including a slightly burnt piece of vegetable or steak.

It happened move on.

Well I wasn't expecting that.
  • Yi live quite some distaNce from the store and would incurr 3 bus journeys if i was able to use them which would actually amount to much more than £10 in taxis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you shop in Tesco's?

How did you manage to buy this thing in the first place if it is so inconvenient to shop there?
    & it isn't all about how much compensation you can squeeze out of somebody when a glitch happens

Come on! Catch up. You're living in the past.
    Beware of imitations e.g. Robert Sterling
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport