cheapest replacement birth certificate?

hi
does anyone know where i can get one for a good price?
i found a site last year sometime for my sister that charged around a tenner, i have just been on a site just now to get one and it wanted 50 diddly squid off me:eek: i need it so i can complete my OU funding form, and dont know what ever happened to mine, and cant get to the office where i was registered as i was born in leeds and now live in bridlington on the east coast of yorkshire.
my deadline for the form to be in is 5th may so need it within the next month.
i would be very grateful for any help anyone can offer and also to apologise if this is in the wrong place.
thanks
rach xx

Comments

• Sagaris
    Sagaris Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    When I needed a replacement I phoned the registry office in the district where I was born and they sorted it all for me over the phone - think it cost about a fiver but it was a few years ago now.
    :j Almost 2 stones gone! :j
    :heart2: RIP Clio 1.9.93 - 7.4.10 :heart2:
    :p I WILL be tidy, I WILL be tidy! :p
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,147 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    3 years ago I had to get new ones for my sons and they were £7 each. I phoned the register office where they had been registered as babies. If I remember correctly, they did new ones for me the same day I phoned.

Liz
  • My local registry office charges £9 for a duplicate extract and £11 for a duplicate full birth certificate.I am always losing them or they get lost in the post when you have to send the original for something or other.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • minimadtrix
    minimadtrix Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Go to the local county/city council website for where you was born and search 'replacement birth certificate'. They will probably give you a form online that you can complete. Don't know how much they would charge, but you won't be ripped off by profit making companies
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    You can collect the form that you need to apply for a copy birth certificate from your local registrars office. They will also be able to advise you as the actual cost. A short certificate is slightly cheaper than a full certificate.
    They may also give you the correct address for the office you need to send the form off to.
    It usually takes about 1 week to 10 days.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • skylight
    skylight Posts: 10,716 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Phone the office in the area you were originally registered. I know that you said that you cannot get there, but they can post a copy to you. My local office does not even need forms from me - I can do it over the phone and they post it the next day (after paying!) £7 for a short one and 50p P&P.
  • rach!_3
    rach!_3 Posts: 654 Forumite
    thanks for all your replies

so do most of them accept debit card over the phone? as it says postal order or cheque but it would obviously be quicker to pay by debit card
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    If you google the office/area you were registered at, you should find their homepage. Although you may have to hunt and by-pass the sites that cost you more money.
    This should have all the info you need.
    Good luck.

Have found this, does it help.... http://www.leeds.gov.uk/Advice_and_benefits/Marriages/Registration__copy_certificates.aspx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure