Help! Stepsons mobile bill > £4500

Just got my stepsons phone bill and it's just over £4500.
He's been to Turkey for 2 weeks with his mum and left data roaming on/been on the internet as it's all data charges. We really do not have the means to pay this at all. I've spoken to his mobile phone company, Orange, and they are going to call me back tomorrow. They have said that they may be able to put a credit on the account but 'to manage my expectations it won't be a significant amount'.

Any advice gratefully received?

It's actually in my partners name but I am speaking to them on his behalf.

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 24 August 2012 at 2:07PM
    £4500 is about [STRIKE]300 [/STRIKE]550Mb. He seems to have had a lot of fun in Turkey, not just "left data roaming on/been on the internet".

There is so much information on this around that it is beyond my understanding how two(!) adults allowed this happeneing and were able to learn only from their own mistakes.

Try asking Oranage to apply 500Mb/£175 roaming bundle retrospectively.
    http://www.orange.co.uk/roaming/turkey/
  • It's actually 500MB and it's the same data amount that he uses every month (checked it against his usual bills)

Thanks for the suggestion about applying the roaming bundle retrospectively.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Yes, my mistake. It's even more than 500.
    4500/8=562 :eek:
  • I know it's shocking. But that's a whole other argument to be having with stepson and my partner. For now, I just need to try and sort out what we agree with Orange.

I appreciate the suggestion, thank you.
  • Guys_Dad
    Guys_Dad Posts: 11,025 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If Orange won't allow retrospective roaming or reduce bill, then apart from any errors in data used, the bill is due.

Even arranging a pay off over months will usually mean that the service will be suspended and, of course, the Experian credit record will show arrears.

What you have is a right old mess whichever way you look. Yes, roaming charges are extortionate and we can all commiserate with your partner on that.

Grumbler is right about so much information being out there on huge roaming costs. Your other half wouldn't have gone on holidday to Turkey without medical insurance, would she? Because we know that overseas medical costs can be crippling.

Well the same applies to smartphones and you must be living in a bubble if none of you knew in advance about this possibility.

That's why, even as a very experienced mobile user who also ran over 100 company networks, never, ever take my smartphone out of the UK. Instead, I have a couple of Nokia dumb as can be cheapos that don't have internet set and use them.

Afraid there is no magic bullet to wipe out these costs if Orange don't offer any goodwill.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Orange don't have to agree any discount I'm afraid. But often a (polite) call to them throwing yourself on their mercy will result in a lump sum deduction.
    But you are still facing a bill for a couple of thousand probably. What does your stepson have to say about it-he can hardly have been unaware of the charges?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • I realise all the reasons why this is incredibly stupid and many parties involved could have done things differently.

I was hoping that someone with experience, or better knowledge may have been able to offer some practical advice. With the greatest respect pointing out how stupid we have been is not a great deal of use now. In my personal defence I am not the boy's parent, I wasn't on holiday with him, and I don't pay for his contract. I am just trying to help sort out the mess that has been created.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I realise all the reasons why this is incredibly stupid and many parties involved could have done things differently.

I was hoping that someone with experience, or better knowledge may have been able to offer some practical advice. With the greatest respect pointing out how stupid we have been is not a great deal of use now. In my personal defence I am not the boy's parent, I wasn't on holiday with him, and I don't pay for his contract. I am just trying to help sort out the mess that has been created.

You have been offered practical advice. Ring up Orange, 'fess up and grovel a bit. What is there to lose?
    If you do a forum search you will see that this issue comes up with depressing regularity.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • MissKeith
    MissKeith Posts: 751 Forumite
    I'm afraid there isn't a whole lot you can do other than hope Orange will be good to you. I've got a lot of experience within this industry so I know you don't have a leg to stand on. I'm really sorry but there's nothing more to say than what's already been suggested.
    Have I helped? Feel free to click the 'Thanks' button. I like to feel useful (and smug). ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure