Which end of bath for Taps???

Hi

My Mum has just had a new bath fitted and the plumber has fitted it with the taps directly underneath the shower. When she asked him why he didn't fit it the same as the original bath he said that is how it is meant to be fitted:confused: Every time she has a shower now water sits behind the taps making it difficult to mop up and soaking the taps leaving them really dull. Originally the taps were at the other end of the bath without any problem. Surely this can't be right.......... can it??

Comments

• tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Depends. Is the shower actually a separate one from the taps? If so, then no, there's no reason the shower shouldn't be at the far end - my last bath had it. In fact, a lot of the time, that's the only way you can have it, as the taps are often at the window end of the bathroom, thus the shower has to be at the wall end. It is, of course, a lot easier to fit the shower next to the taps, as it cuts down on the pipework.
  • Thanks Tawnyowls - the shower is separate from the taps and he didn't have to touch the shower only install the bath so he obviously made the job easier for himself regarding the pipework by installing it this way!
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    i had my taps put in at the feet end
  • pawpurrs
    pawpurrs Posts: 3,910
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    taps are good in the middle of the bath, that way you can have two people in the bath, at each end!
    Pawpurrs x ;)
  • I have just fitted my own bathroom and had the same dilema...

Taps were at the window end, therefore the place to fix a shower was at the opposite end. As a matter of ease, i left everything how it was and fitted the shower at the head end of the bath.

One person did say that the taps, and thus, the plug hole should be at the same end as the shower so that water drains more quickly. I tend to agree with this logic but IMHO, there are many other things that will govern which way round you do it i.e

current pipework (which would be easier), sink location (incase it causes an obstruction when entering the bath), personal preference etc...

I dont think it really matters.
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    pawpurrs wrote:
    taps are good in the middle of the bath, that way you can have two people in the bath, at each end!

We have tried it with one person at each end but she is not willing to try with two at each end.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • Really confused with the responses! You clearly have a new bath and taps not a new shower. Taps can normally only go at one end only because there is usually only one set of holes which is the same end as the drain hole. I assume that the shower already is in a good position, ie; full wall and no windows next to it. The question therfore is 'if the shower stays in the same position, which way round should i fit the bath'. The obvious answer being with the drain hole and taps at the opposite end to the shower as it was before and then you wouldn't have the problem you have now and you wouldn't bang your legs on the taps. Not sure why anyone thinks it is easier to do anything different if the plumbing is already there. One problem that i have seen is if there is an upstand at the head end, this can also be a water trap if put under the shower. I wouldn't accept the job until it is put right. If you asked for the bath to be changed and didn't agree for it to be put the opposite way around then this is unacceptable.
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • Baad_!!! wrote:
    For safety reasons, over-bath showers should always be installed at the tap end. The base of the bath has a gentle slope from the head end towards the taps, which can become slippery during a shower. Also, because of the sloping back at the head end of the bath you may actually end up standing nearer the middle of the bath and hence not directly under the shower.
    You must be joking. Who stands on the sloping back rest hoping to not slip off? Spider man? Even though you have to stand back from the slope you would have to stand back from the taps also!!! Whats wrong with standing back a little anyway? Any shower i've seen has an adjustable head so you don't have to stand right next to the wall and bang your nose!!! I think this person is on a wind up or a plonka!
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Baad_!!! wrote:
    For safety reasons, over-bath showers should always be installed at the tap end. The base of the bath has a gentle slope from the head end towards the taps, which can become slippery during a shower. Also, because of the sloping back at the head end of the bath you may actually end up standing nearer the middle of the bath and hence not directly under the shower. Now if none of these things matter to you, there is absolutely no reason why you cant fit it the way you want, but it may be worth bearing in mind that if you come to sell your property, any potential buyers may see it and immediately think "Hmm, that'll cost £500 to move" and ...who knows?

Load of TOSH
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I've always had shower and taps at the same end. i'd think it was weird to be the other way round.

We're all different.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure