Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Comments

• Just to add, I don't think the ultrasonic repellers get very good reviews from what I've read - the reviews are pretty mixed even for deterring mice.

They're not getting in under the eaves are they? I was really glad our chimney pots are already covered because of a squirrel problem. Incidentally, they love the rat poison even more than the bulbs I've just planted and I haven't seen one for a few days either. (Just made me think of Sex and the City when SJP says squirrels are just rats with a better outfit!)
  • mrsr
    mrsr Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    tipsychick wrote: »
    Just to add, I don't think the ultrasonic repellers get very good reviews from what I've read - the reviews are pretty mixed even for deterring mice.

They're not getting in under the eaves are they? I was really glad our chimney pots are already covered because of a squirrel problem. Incidentally, they love the rat poison even more than the bulbs I've just planted and I haven't seen one for a few days either. (Just made me think of Sex and the City when SJP says squirrels are just rats with a better outfit!)

Thanks for that
    I agree about ultrasonic repellers we have got two there usless.We have had the roof checked there dosn't seem to be any gaps .We thought at first we had squirrels because noise was so bad ,maybe they would have been easier to stop.My kind nieghbour was up in loft today putting loads of bait down and he did the elderly nieghbours as well ,hopefully it will keep them down ,not the best solution but my poor nephew needs his sleep
  • I have just found out that we have mice in our flat :-(

Gonna have to get the landlord to get it sorted. Got a couple of traps this morning, and in about 4/5 hours have managed to get 8 mice. So I am guessing there are ALOT of them!

Its a bit rubbish, as i Brush the floors pretty much every day and last night was the first time we saw any sign of them (one ran across the floor)

I have had to give up with the trap in the bathroom (under the bath) because I could not deal with having to remove another dead rat every half an hour. The last one put me off a little bit too. 2 caught in the one trap. It was not a pleasent sight!

Gonna keep one in the kitchen tho as I dont like the idea of them skuttling around in the kitchen.
  • I have had mice for a couple of weeks and could not bear it. So I got this company round yesterday http://www.pestremovals.co.uk. It is not cheap, but it seems effective - the guy came round and put a gel down that the mice hate, so they leave the house and don't come back. He out the stuff under my kitchen units and behind all my furniture and across the back door. Fingers crossed, it seems to have worked.
  • I know its gonna be fairly difficult for me to get rid of mice/rats in my flat living in such a built up area like london, and being connected to pretty much all of the shops on the street next to mine. So i am guessing that the only thing i can really do it block up all the holes I can find to stop them gaining access.

Do people think that if i were to fill up any I find with expanding foam this will be enough to keep them out?
  • Bree
    Bree Posts: 52 Forumite
    Jim_Chem wrote: »
    I know its gonna be fairly difficult for me to get rid of mice/rats in my flat living in such a built up area like london, and being connected to pretty much all of the shops on the street next to mine. So i am guessing that the only thing i can really do it block up all the holes I can find to stop them gaining access.

Do people think that if i were to fill up any I find with expanding foam this will be enough to keep them out?

Expanding foam on it's own won't stop them as they'll just munch their way back through. I know I tried it once. What I found worked was to stuff holes with wire wool, then expanding foam or polyfilla just to cover the wool and to tidy the hole.
  • Thanks! I will be stuffing some wire wool in with it now I think.

I have been reading through this tread and am getting a little worried tho. As people seem to be saying they catch one or two in a week or so, but yesterday when i purchaced some traps, they were going off within 10 mins of them being set. I hope there are not hundreds of them running around. I dont like the idea of rats (I have managed to convince my partner they are just big mice, she was ready to pack her bags and go to her mom and dads in the midlands when she thought they were rats) running all over my flat
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Jim - keep going with the traps.

It is horrible, but it is a very effective way of dealing with it (moreso than any other way I've come across). It won't go on forever.
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • Jim_Chem
    Jim_Chem Posts: 35 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2009 at 3:23PM
    I would keep going with the traps, but i cant really cope with clearning rat brains off of them when it catches them right on the head. I have also had quite a few that they didn't actually kill and the misses did not really do very well with hearing the sqeel and scratching. the one that caught two really put me off as did the one where it only caught its nose, leaving it alive bit with a crushes face. I dont really think its very humaine either if about a quater of them dont die straight away and just sit their in pain til i have to actually get them and kill them myself.

*edit*

In short, I am fine when it kills them instatantly, but I have had quite a few that it hasn't killed so i have had to finish the job. Its not like i got cheap traps either! I got some more pricey ones hoping that they would do a more efficient job in the killing quickly.
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do you think you may need bigger traps? Are these rat traps you are using?
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure