Getting rid of rats/mice (merged threads)

Comments

• nat_2
    nat_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2009 at 8:42PM
    Unfortunately we get mice every year. So far it would be one or two but this year we had many more. We killed 2 with snapper traps, one with electric shock rat and mice killer and 5 with glue. We called rentokill and it seemed that we got rid of the mice, for 3 weeks, until yesterday when we found another one caught in glue..Need to call rentokil again, while our 1 month guarantee is still valid with them.
    I blocked all visible holes with steel wool and covered ventilation bricks with mash covers.
    When you position glue pads, put them 20-30 cm away from suspected mouse hole, as mice have poor eyesight and will not see them. And try to put them along the suspected mice runs
    The mice drive me mad
    Good luck
    nat
  • ukbill69
    ukbill69 Posts: 2,789 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I always use a rentokil rat trap and caramel chocolate, like a doner kebab to a drunk!
    Kind Regards
    Bill
  • nat_2
    nat_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Forgot to say, we used different poisons in the past. This time mice were eating it like mad, but not dying from it. I found info that they can develop resistance to the pisons and that the pest control companies have to change poisons every so often. I also found info that the wheat looking poison (like grains but blue -green colour) has the poison in the middle and works well with rats (who cut through the grain when eating), but not with mice, as they chew around and leave the middle - this was evident with our infestation.
    nat
  • i have mice again!:(

i hate it, i was getting washing out this morning & could hear scratching & then heard a sqeek somewhere above the boiler!:mad:

Think they are probably in the loft above utility room.

I went round before & blocked all the holes with expandable foam etc.

What i dont understand is we never see droppings!?maybe they are just in for warmth? no evidence of food being eaten etc.

I've got the blue posion down, which we used last year & traps.

We're thinking of getting a dog, found a terrier to rescue, do you think this wil help?

BB
    :money:
  • mstar
    mstar Posts: 269 Forumite
    hi ppl i wanted to ask if anyone has any opinions on mouse traps we have WE THINK one visitor in our house which is we think trapped as we sealed all the holes.

has anyone got any personal reccomendations for the best mouse traps?

i was thinking:

1. old classic spring mouse trap
    2. ultrasonic mouse trap which you plug into the wall
    3. electronic shock mouse trap (rentokil)

:confused:
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Its getting cold so the mice will often come inside for the warmth. My ex had mice this time last year and we put down your No. 1 (Spring type). Baited with chocolate got them both. I understand they like peanut butter too. This type of trap is cheap, effective and kills the mouse instantly and therefore relatively humane.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • mrsr
    mrsr Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hope this is the right place to post this My mothers house has had a rat prob there in the loft and between the floor boards .we have had the council out who put poison down but weren't of help when it came to curing problem .The drains have had a camera down them the chimley has been covered , we have had a private pest control company to check all round the house to find where there getting in .next door who are elderly have them as well I asked them last week to get there place checked, again there wasn't any luck they couldn't tell us where there getting in .We have got a load of bait down in next doors and our atic at the moment but we really need to stop them getting in .I live next door but one and have no problems what so ever and none of the other nieghbours have rats either.Can anybody tell me where i go now ,who can i get to help .We are getting desperate but i don't know what i do now
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2009 at 9:28AM
    Rats are opportunists ,they will go where the conditions are best so first off try to make sure there is nothing there for them ,make sure all areas of rubbish/materials that can be used for nesting/cover are removed and make sure they cannot access food ,bear in mind a sole teabag is enough to sustain an adult rat for several days and the less they eat the longer they live.As for getting in ,even of you cover all holes ,if the conditions are right for them ( as above) then they will get in a rat can chew through a door /plaster or even brick given enough time and determination.
    I personally wouldnt use poison ,if a rat dies in a wall /under floor boards the smell will be awful and then you get problems with flies/maggots.
    I would lay traps with melted chocolate as bait and have you tried one of those ultrasonic repellers ?
  • mrsr
    mrsr Posts: 476 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    skiTTish wrote: »
    Rats are opportunists ,they will go where the conditions are best so first off try to make sure there is nothing there for them ,make sure all areas of rubbish/materials that can be used for nesting/cover are removed and make sure they cannot access food ,bear in mind a sole teabag is enough to sustain an adult rat for several days and the less they eat the longer they live.As for getting in ,even of you cover all holes ,if the conditions are right for them ( as above) then they will get in a rat can chew through a door /plaster or even brick given enough time and determination.
    I personally wouldnt use poison ,if a rat dies in a wall /under floor boards the smell will be awful and then you get problems with flies/maggots.
    I would lay traps with melted chocolate as bait and have you tried one of those ultrasonic repellers ?

Thanks for reply
    Thankfully there not getting into inside of house .I know what you mean about them dying from poison , smell ,flys but we had no choice we were over run with them it was impossable to sleep at night.This has been going on for over a year now we have done everything we can but still can't find out where there getting in.I have tried pest control companys and evan a builder but still no luck.This is my mothers house and next door and her are the only ones with the problem .I let the house to my nephew my mother has had to go into a nursing home he has been very patient putting up with noise i don't think any other tenant would have stood it ,the problem is i think he's at end of his tether now .The rent is important to pay for care we wouldn't be able to relet with Rats runing round loft and between floor boards .so i'm really despaerate don't know where else to get help
  • Hi mrsr

God, that sounds like an absolute nightmare! I couldn't bear to be in bed and hear them running around above.

We've just (fingers crossed) got rid of some that were living in next door's garden but coming under the fence and running about under our shed. I don't know if different groups of rats in different geographical areas develop resistance to the poison but we're in London and this worked really well:

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=20001&partNumber=232660&Trail=searchtext%3ERAT

I bunged it down in large quantities in trays under the shed using peanut butter to bait and after a few days of feverish activity, all seems to have gone quiet.

I read rats need a freshwater source and will travel to it. Are they drinking from the water tank in the loft? Make sure that's properly covered (and don't use bathroom taps for drinking).

If the poison hadn't worked, we'd have tried baited cages next and drowned them in a water butt or wheelie bin filled with a hose. Rats like to stick to the perimeter of rooms/gardens (think "rat run"), so make sure the cages are placed appropriately.

Failing all that, what about borrowing a Jack Russell? Maybe local kennel club could help. They're meant to be great ratters.

It's all I've thought about for the last couple of weeks. I can really empathize with how desperate you must be.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback