HMRC Identity Check

I just phoned the Tax Credit office to see how my renewal was going as I hadn't heard from them since I sent back the form in mid May. The man asked me some questions, such as NI number, full name and address, date of birth, then told me I had failed the security check because I wasn't listed on Experian. He said I will have to go for an interview at the HMRC Enquiry Centre and take my idintification documents, which should include a photo ID such passpassport, driving license or similar. I told him I don't have anything like that and he said that the office would let me know what they require.
Does any one know what happens at one of these identity interviews? And why didn't I pass the check, none of my details has changed since the last time I phoned them?

Comments

• When was the last time you called them as some time last year i had the same questions but all my info matched the id check with experian. Then once i passed they asked me to security questionswhich i get asked every time i call.

if you have not called since last year this is nothing to worry about, i would however be concerned that you are not on experian, which probably means you are not on the electrol role or your data has not matched.
  • csnann
    csnann Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I called last in May (2010) to renew , I renewed by post this year. I should be on the Electoral Roll, I got my voting paper and used my vote. I wonder if its because the name on my Birth Certificate is different to the name I use? My parents weren't married so I was registered in my mother's surname, although I have always used my fathers name - all my official documents have the same name except for the Birth Certificate.
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    Well it definitely won't help. Have you changed your name by Deed Poll or just used another name?
  • csnann
    I haven't changed it by deed poll - my mum just put my fathers surname name down on everything like the doctor's and school stuff. I have never actually used the other name.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    csnann wrote: »
    I haven't changed it by deed poll - my mum just put my fathers surname name down on everything like the doctor's and school stuff. I have never actually used the other name.

The other tack would be don't bother with all this, but get experian to properly list you.
    Do you have bank accouts/credit cards/mobiles/CCJs in the name you use?
    Have you recently moved?
    It's possible experian may not know this - you can update them.
  • csnann
    My bank account is in the name I have always used. I don't have a mobile phone, or any credit cards or other debts (or judgements). I have lived here for 16 years - the man in the office asked if I had lived here less than 6 months though. Would Experian know about me if I have haven't had any credit for years? The only kind of credit I have ever had was a catalogue account which I stopped doing ages ago when I got my computer - it was cheaper to order stuff online than through the catalogue!
  • HMRC probably wont try to authenticate you again through Experian as you've already failed that part, you'll need to attend the appointment at the enquiry centre to sort it out. The enquiry centre will call you to make the appointment so ask them what you should bring as ID. When you go you'l be asked to set up security questions/answers that you can use when you phone in future.
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,743 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 July 2011 at 12:44PM
    I used to verify people's identities using a competitor of Experian. Many people will fail an identity check simply because there aren't sufficient matches across the data scanned - people who are transient (and so get mismatched addresses), young, old and who aren't responsible for paying bills or holding financial products (like mortgage) are probably worst affected. I suspect your name isn't an issue if it is the one that you always use for things like electorial roll, utilities, financial accounts, etc... because their check will look to match your claimed details against the basic details held by those 3rd party organisations... a reason why keeping such organisations up to date with address is also important.

I suspect that as you don't have a photo ID like Passport, modern Driving Licence and presumably National ID card then they'll look to using a larger range of documents to confirm name and address. Hopefully when they get back to you then you'll be able to agree on a range that is suitable (might include things like NI card, old style Driving Licence if these things still exist, marriage cert, recent utility bills, recent bank statement, recent payslip etc)... although obviously if they suggest birth certificate as one it is probably best you state you don't use your birth name (or don't have a copy available.)

So regarding failing the check, almost certainly simply not sufficient matches with databases available in the search - you may have passed such a check last time and not this due to something as simple as software changes or reduction in number of suitable matches or even something as simple as admin errors by organisations you deal with. It never ceased to amaze me how common errored details of name, address and DOB organisations held on their customers (organisations indeed that were also expected to verify client identities).

That's generic advice.. regarding HMRC interview I can't comment but I wouldn't be too worried.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure