Share Dealing Discussion Area

Comments

• the_tired_one
    the_tired_one Posts: 1,262
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    We have 750 Shares in a building society that we would like to sell.

How do we do it; who do we need to see?

I, My husband, and our 11 year old each have 250 shares.

My daughters are held jointly in my name

What is the cheapest way to sell these shares-can it be done online?

Its a one-off transaction. I wont be buying/selling any more shares in the future.

Thanks
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,334
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi, tto,

Have a look at the share certificates; there should be a registrar named on them ( usually Lloyds TSB or Capita, sometimes Computershare ). The registrars have a low(ish) cost sharedealing service ( links ) which allows you to sell shares as a one-off.

HTH

Cheerfulcat
  • ReportInvestor
    ReportInvestor Posts: 3,646 Forumite
    Congratulations on hanging onto your Bradford & Binlgley shares for so long. They are currently worth around £3,600 :).

Computershare - see cc's link - is the company that operates the B&B Nominee Account.
  • tenuissent
    tenuissent Posts: 342
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    I can't find a suitable place to ask what could be a stupid question about P&O shares, so I apologise if this is the wrong place:

I bought 600 concessionary P&O shares a few years ago in order to cross the channel more cheaply and often. Now that P&O have been sold, I have been sent a cheque. What I can't make out is whether my shares have been compulsorily purchased (at a loss), and I don't have them any more....or whether this is a bonus and I DO still own the shares? The wording with the cheque is brief and unhelpful.
  • ReportInvestor
    If the cheque is for £3,120 your shares have been bought from you by Dubai Ports.

I'm not sure what loss you are referring to since they were worth just £1800 in October 2005.

If it's a small cheque then perhaps it's a dividend?
  • tenuissent
    Forumite
    Thanks for replying. No, even I can recognise a dividend. I bought my shares for about £1,200 in 2004, and the cheque is for about £750. It just doesn't fit.

I'm not even sure what happens when one company buys another - does it take on all the existing shareholders as well??? Apparently over 90% of both sets of shareholders voted for this, which they hardly would have done if they were having their shares taken away for less than they paid for them. I'd love to think this was an unexpected bonus that I can share with my family, but I can't seem to find out who to ask.

Eventually I emailed P&O ticket sales, and they kindly gave me an address I have since contacted, so I am now waiting to hear.

Any further comment? How did you come to suggest the figure of £3,120? These are the 5.5 Concessionary shares that tend to remain much the same, not the other ones that go up and down....sorry to sound such a simpleton - I'm quite new to this.
  • ReportInvestor
    Sorry, my figure was based on the ordinary shares x £5.20.

What does it say on the form that came with the cheque, which is evidence that the taxman will also have to understand?
    Surely there must also have been some previous information sent?
    Did you get an annual income from these concessionary shares?
  • tenuissent
    Forumite
    Yes, I do get a couple of cheques a year for about £50 each, and yes, I got several mountains of glossy paperwork that I looked at but couldn't make head or tail of.

The form with the cheque is extraordinarily uninformative. It simply tells me how much is due "for each unit of Concessionary Stock you held at the Concessionary Scheme Record Time" without saying unambiguously whether or not I still own the shares.

I immediately assumed it was the bribe to shareholders to vote for them (for DP), but later I was not so sure.

I had to ask this question once before when AMP suddenly sent me some substantial cheques, much larger than the usual tiny dividend, and they politely explained, when asked, that this was a shareout of recent profits, and I still owned their shares.

Never mind, if P&O reply to me tomorrow, I hope it will be good news. Thanks for your time.
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,334
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Everything is explained here. Essentially, the concessionary shares were bought by DP for £1.20.

HTH

Cheerfulcat
  • tenuissent
    Forumite
    Thank you - it's all clearly explained now. A shame I bought them at £1.93 and didn't notice them steadily going down until £1.20 looked like a good price to everyone else. I'm really grateful for the help given here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback