Peugeot 306 - airbag light flashing

Petal_3
Petal_3 Posts: 779 Forumite
Hi there

I'm hoping someone has experience of this. I've had problems with the air bag system for years. It seems that if the seat is moved or the airbag is switched off/on it triggers a fault and the light starts flashing. I'm told that I then can't be sure if the airbag will activate if required. It's been in the garage a couple of times where they delete the fault codes and as soon as I drive away from the garage the light starts flashing again. I really don't want to keep spending money on having the codes deleted only to find that's not really the problem. The seat runners have been mentioned as a possible fault and now the garage want to quote for new runners etc. Has anyone else had any experience of this?

It's driving me :mad: !

Thanks
~x~
Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

R.I.P Darling Jackson 11/7/09 - 15/1/10 :(
Miss u sweetie... :heart:

Comments

• Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    I don't know if the 306 is the same as the 406, but there electrical connectors for the airbag on the 406 are under the front seats. They are orange in colour & for the the seat belt pre tensioners, which are connected to the air bag ecu.

If you have the electrical connectors under the seats, wiggling the connections can fix it, as well as unplugging the wires and spraying some contact cleaner in the plug and sockets. You may want to disconnect the battery for a few minutes before hand to ensure you don't deploy the airbag by mistake.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    This can be fixed by removing the poor quality connectors under the front seats and then soldering the wires as they were previously connected.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    Yep, I had a 306 and this happened to me. I phone the local Peugeot dealer and they told me to check the connectors under the seats. Simple as that.

• Petal_3
    So - I need to remove the seat to do this - right? Apologies for my ignorance but are all the connectors under the driver's seat or are there some under the passenger seat for the passenger airbag?

~x~
    Owned by [STRIKE]4[/STRIKE] 4 cats: 2 x Maine coon cross males, 1 x Pixie Bob male and[STRIKE] 2[/STRIKE] 1 x Norwegian Forest male....cute!

• espresso
    Petal wrote: »
    So - I need to remove the seat to do this - right? Apologies for my ignorance but are all the connectors under the driver's seat or are there some under the passenger seat for the passenger airbag?

~x~

It's not necessary to remove the seats but there are connectors under both front seats.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Petal_3
    Aaah...I've just re-read the replies and the clue would be in "front seats" ! I did call Peugeot when the problem first occurred years ago. I paid £70 odd for new pre tensioners - within no time it was flashing again - I then paid another £70 odd for something else which they said was unrelated to the first problem. I've since paid £57 + VAT per time to have fault codes deleted etc. I called and spoke to the Manager of the garage and said that I can't keep paying money to have this rectified and he said to bring it in and they will check it out FOC and try to get to the bottom of it - fair enough. They had it all Saturday morning and when I collected the car the light was flashing again before I left their car park!

~x~

• espresso
    This is a very well known Peugeot problem and that garage is havin a laugh! Quite easy to DIY, so they should be able to fix it first time.
  • wire under the seat

make sure the ignition is off, un plug it, plug it back in.

Its caused by stuff hitting the wire or moving the seat a lot
  • espresso
    wire under the seat

make sure the ignition is off, un plug it, plug it back in.

Its caused by stuff hitting the wire or moving the seat a lot

That "fix" may last for all of ten minutes, as the OP has already found!

:rotfl:
  • also a problem on citroens too and all psa cars of this era!

its the orange connector under the front seats, with the ignition off carefully take off the connector and reconnect (on both seats) this may work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure