PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to deter dogs from going to loo outside my house?

Options
Hi Everyone

I've done a search but can't find anything on here. Does anyone have any tips for deterring dogs from using the tree on the pavement outside my house as their communal toilet? :eek: I've found lots of tips for deterring cats and foxes but not for dogs - do you think the same things would work?

Every time I leave the house or get out of the car I have to avoid stepping in dog mess. I know that it's the owner's responsibility and they should pick it up, but they don't, they just leave it lying around. I was thinking of putting a sign up, but that might cause a bit of friction so I was thinking of sprinkling something around the tree so that the dogs wouldn't want to go there anyway.

Any suggestions welcome! Thank you.

Comments

• sandieb
    sandieb Posts: 728 Forumite
    Options
    What about this
    http://www.pestfree.co.uk/dogcat.htm

Not sure how effective the sonic type repellents are. At £30 a bit dear perhaps, but if it works well, then worth it!
  • woofwoofwoof
    Options
    We have a little kitten and at christmas he kept pulling over the tree, I read somewhere that cats don't like the smell of Olbas oil so I sprinkled some of it around the base of the tree and when he went near the tree it was as if he'd had an electric shock he jumped back so quickly. You could try sprinkling some of it around the base of the tree to see if it works with dogs as well. It won't harm them in any way. In case you don't know Olbas oil is the stuff you get to drip onto handkerchiefs and then you breathe in the smell to unblock your nose when you have a cold.
    :hello:
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi greentomato,

Some of the suggestions on this thread on the In My Home board may help:

Stop dogs pooing??

Pink
  • judderman62
    Options
    shoot them ? :confused:
    Hate and I do mean Hate my apple Mac Computer - wish I'd never bought the thing
    Do little and often
    Please stop using the word "of" when you actually mean "have" - it's damned annoying :mad:
  • hazzie123
    hazzie123 Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lion wee works,bit hard to come accross though.
    sorry it`s not very helpful.
    Debt Free Date:10/09/2007 :j :money:
  • Solomon_Broad
    Options
    Try something strong smelling, like the Olbas oil previously mentioned. Or throw it at the owner if you can catch whoever is doing it.
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    If I see an owner letting their dog foul on the pavement in front of my house, I go out with a bag and shout after them....*excuse me, I think you've forgotten something* they usually mumble that they haven't got a bag or some such nonsense, at which point I produce the bag and then stand and watch them clear it up.

We have an open front and park the cars on it, so any mess on the pavement gets picked up by the tyres and then tramped into the house.

It does help that we live on a busy road and there is usually a queue of traffic watching the embaressed owner.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • mouseymousey99
    Options
    Does your local council have a dog warden? May be worth a phone call as they can put up notices on the street lights etc to warn dog owners to clean up..
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    we have a similar problem but its cats that keep fowling on our front lawn:mad: next doors cat! why dont they train it to use a litter box:confused: we have 3 dogs and wouldn't dream of letting them go anywhere outside of our garden without picking it up in a bag! its very tempting to go and chuck it back over next door onto their garden!:rolleyes:
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • whistler-alison
    Options
    I would make a complaint to the council. I had the same problem where I used to live - it was like one big dog toilet from my flat to the station - a ten minute walk.

The council were sympathetic but they only had two dog wardens for the whole borough and unless I was aware of a regular offender who came round at a certain time they said that the wardens wouldn't be able to help because they cannot sit in one road all day. Unfortunately, I couldn't help because I was at work all day and couldn't identify anyone, but maybe you are aware of someone who is not picking up after their dog and the warden could stake the tree out when they are due to come?

However, what the council DID do was spray "clean it up" stencils at intervals on the pavements around the area which I think did help to some extent. Maybe the council could do this around your tree?

I did ask why the council didn't have signs up on lamposts like they used to do saying "dog fouling fine £50" but I was told that because they were not sightly -like a pile of dog poo is more sightly? :confused:

Outside of my flat was a particular problem and sometimes, by the size of the mess, I would have thought the dog was in fact a small pony :eek: Whenever I saw a mess I would phone the council and they would send a cleanup team (or at least they would say they were - sometimes it would still be there when I got home).

Finally, for good measure I also got in touch with my councillors. Probably didn't do much good, but I got responses and only pressure can persuade them to put more in the budget for it.

As you have probably guessed from the amount I have written on the subject, this is a real pet hate of mine. I am not a dog hater and do not blame the dogs but the owners. People who do not clean up are selfish and antisocial and it just shouldn't be tolerated any more than anyone who went out themselves and had a crap on the street. :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure