How many months supply is a standard NHS Prescription?

As above, I thought it was three months but was prescribed two months by my GP? (Its the second prescription of blood pressure tablets BTW)
A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!

Comments

• I've never had blood pressure tablets but in my experience the quantity you get prescribed depends a lot on what the medication is, how long before a med review is due and how long they expect you to need that medication at that particular dose. I've had some things where I was only given a week or two at a time and had to go back and speak to the doctor each time before getting a repeat and other things they happily give six months at a time.
    Common sense?...There's nothing common about sense!
  • I only ever get one months supply of my migraine and IBS medication, so you are very lucky to get 2 months.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's up to the GP and the guidance from their PCT. Mine only allows one month for items on long term repeat E.G. Blood pressure, Statins etc.
  • i get 3 months worth of 2 inhalers, the other lasts barely a month each time. 6 months of the pill at a time.

it's different by area, had a real fight when I moved to my last doctors to get them to give me more than one of each inhaler at a time :mad:
  • I think it is entirely up to the GP's discretion.

If you GP only prescribes one month's worth, and you are on more than one medication, you might want to consider buying a pre-payment certificate. I have several medicines and used to worry about affording to get them dispensed. I now pay £10.40 per month by DD and it covers all prescriptions.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    As others have said it depends on the medicine and the GP. Some of my medicines I get one month supply, others two months.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Ours used to give two months, but recently changed to monthly following instruction from the PCT, following instruction from the department of health, who desire all GP's to only prescribe monthly prescriptions.... I wonder why that could be?
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • j.e.j.
    j.e.j. Posts: 9,672 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When the current lot got in, there was a big hoo-ha about them introducing changes which would mean that GPs have to manage their own budgets. Would this be affecting how many months prescription a patient can get?
  • MoaningMyrtle
    MoaningMyrtle Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks everyone, might be worthwhile going down the monthly DD route as I get a psoriasis cream occasionally.
    A minute at the till, a lifetime on the bill.

Nothing tastes as good as being slim feels.

one life, live it!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    j.e.j. wrote: »
    When the current lot got in, there was a big hoo-ha about them introducing changes which would mean that GPs have to manage their own budgets. Would this be affecting how many months prescription a patient can get?
    I don't think so, My GP has only done a month for the 6 years that I have been with them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure