What time do you let your children out in the morning?

Our garden backs onto the people behind us, and we have neighbours either side in our terrace.

DS2 would be out in the garden at 6am if I let him, but he is loud so I keep him in, but what time do you think is reasonable for him to go out in the garden to play?
SPC #1813
Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    If he can play quietly without disturbing anyone I don't think that 6am is too early - its when you have kids screaming and shouting with noisy toys when it becomes a problem!, Why can't you just insist that if he is noisy then he comes in?
  • On a Sunday? Not before 9am.

I respect your child's right to play outside. However I also think that ensuring neighbours aren't disturbed too early, on what may be the only day of the week they can catch up on sleep, deserves equal respect.

Could you take him for a long walk to burn off some of his energy?
  • phil_kirsty
    phil_kirsty Posts: 48 Forumite
    We have a lot of inconsiderate neighbours around us that play loud music etc but we arnt like them so they tend to go out at a reasonable 9am
  • LunaLady
    LunaLady Posts: 1,625 Forumite
    Long walk a no-go as DS1 and DD are still in bed.

DS2 has LD so no concept of being noisy or being told that he can go out if he is quiet etc. I dont normally let him out until 9am and at the moment he is being noisy in the dining room with his dino run.
    SPC #1813
    Addicted to collecting Nectar Points!! :D
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    My neighbour's little girl is out at 7 am and she whines and cries and her mum 'talks' to her from the house so basically shouting down the garden and it drives me nuts as we are still in bed cos our (same age) DD doesn't get up that early.

I say not before 9 any day of the week. Children don't know how to be quiet when they play.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    My DD wouldn't know 6am if it bit her on the bum, she's never been an early riser. But I'd agree with the concensus, 9am sounds reasonable to me, maybe a little before if the weather is particularly nice.
  • RubyRue
    RubyRue Posts: 138 Forumite
    I used to have neighbours who let their children out as soon as it got light, drove me nuts, especially when they got a trampoline!

As Heatherinthehills said, the weekend is the only time when I don't have to get up at 5 so it wasn't nice getting woken up by screaming and shouting with the children playing at 6am. I'd go with 9 aswell.
  • stsarina
    stsarina Posts: 263 Forumite
    9am is our general time for 'noisy play' to begin. I live in flats and I wouldn't vacuum before that time either. I just wish all my neighbours were as considerate as you guys!
    Team Pink! Baby girl due 25/5/14
  • pink_princess
    pink_princess Posts: 13,581 Forumite
    I think 8am on weekdays would be acceptable and then 9am at weekends but that is just my thoughts and I'm always up by 6am.

How about asking your neighbours what they find acceptable? I'm sure they would like the fact you are considering what they would like. They may well be heavy sleepers where they would not mind your lo being out at 6am.
    Life is short, smile while you still have teeth :D
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't really let my children out before 10 am on a sunday at the earliest, as they are noisy altogether, maybe if it was just one on their own i would let them out earlier but not the 3 of them.
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport