17 and pregnant - entitled to any benefits?

2»

Comments

• thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    c.warren44 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I am 18 and my partner is 17, We live together at my parents home, I have been on Jobseeker's Allowance for 8 Months having left my Job earlier in the year, However my partner is not receiving any money from anywhere, We went to the Jobcentre before we found out that she was expecting and they said that she is not entitled to Income Support of JSA because her mum can still claim Child Benefit for her until the Extension period ends, However this ends on 13.12.10 and after this she would be getting no money at all, just the single JSA payment that I get every 2 weeks, Now that she is pregnant and her mother will soon be not receiving and money for her, is there any benefits that she may be entitled to?
    We know that she can go on Income Support once she reaches 29 weeks of pregnancy, but other than that we don't know anything else, would be grateful for any advice, if you're going to comment and be rude - save yourself the effort.

You started a thread of your own ...you didn't like the responses so you pulled it ...do you expect the answers to be different here?

Why, oh why, if so many teenagers must go paddling, will they not keep their boots on!
  • mitch161
    mitch161 Posts: 271 Forumite
    there a couple posters with similar situations mother to be is still a teenager.

well the benefits you get for being a mother are a few giggles, a few chuckles, a few sleepless nights and lots of dirty nappies..

breast feeding is free, so the only costs to a new mother are baby clothes..

grandparents of the baby to be. you know what you daughter needs for christmas, baby socks and bibs.

asda are doing a offer of free nappies for every houswhold who fills in a form.. get all your college friends to do this.. then you will have a years supply of nappies :D

stop thinking about the baby to be as a monetary income.. its a bundle of joy.

your staying in college which means no JSA your under 18 and living with parents soi would say live on you and your childs, child allowance. until 18 then get IS or just prove you made a responsible decision by not wearing protection to not ask for benefits.

dont use the baby as a 'get me rich quick' scheme.. babies dont cost as much as you think to raise

if you want to pamper your baby in top class clothing at just one month old, get a job.
  • wilykit
    wilykit Posts: 1,188 Forumite
    c.warren44 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    I am 18 and my partner is 17, We live together at my parents home, I have been on Jobseeker's Allowance for 8 Months having left my Job earlier in the year, However my partner is not receiving any money from anywhere, We went to the Jobcentre before we found out that she was expecting and they said that she is not entitled to Income Support of JSA because her mum can still claim Child Benefit for her until the Extension period ends, However this ends on 13.12.10 and after this she would be getting no money at all, just the single JSA payment that I get every 2 weeks, Now that she is pregnant and her mother will soon be not receiving and money for her, is there any benefits that she may be entitled to?
    We know that she can go on Income Support once she reaches 29 weeks of pregnancy, but other than that we don't know anything else, would be grateful for any advice, if you're going to comment and be rude - save yourself the effort.

haha i see you have tried a different tactic of hijacking somebody else's post but you got the same response!

ask yourself how YOU can support your baby, not how OTHER people can help and what benefits you think you are 'entitled' to.
    The more one gets to know of men, the more one values dogs.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mitch161 wrote: »
    your staying in college which means no JSA your under 18 and living with parents soi would say live on you and your childs, child allowance. until 18 then get IS or just prove you made a responsible decision by not wearing protection to not ask for benefits.

Why would a healthy couple who don't care for a disabled person be entitled to IS?
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • paddedjohn
    paddedjohn Posts: 7,512
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    People should be means tested before they are allowed to breed! You cant afford it you cant have it.
    Be Alert..........Britain needs lerts.
  • Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Thread closed - OP please start a new thread if you would like a response.

Paddedjohn if you have nothing constructive to add then please think before posting ;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure