PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

broken oven in rented house

Hi we have lived in our rented house since December. Yesterday the main oven stopped working, the top oven, grill and hob all work fine but when we turn on the main oven the ignition just keeps clicking but doesnt light and then there is a strong smell of gas.

My question is who would have to sort out this problem? me or the landlord? I have looked through our contract but cant see no mention of this in there. Dont want to ring to landlord to tell him if I am gonna have to sort it out anyway.

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• new_home_owner_3
    new_home_owner_3 Posts: 1,191 Forumite
    Landlords responsibility unless you have broke it.
  • hermum
    hermum Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Have you tried lighting the oven with a match? It sounds as though it's just the ignition gone.
  • Mum_of_3_3
    Mum_of_3_3 Posts: 658 Forumite
    It sounds as if the ignition has gone. I would think it's the landlord's responsibility to repair it, however it may take more than a few days, because of the Bank Holiday

So in the meantime, I would try to light it with a gas lighter you can buy them in a supermarket for cheap.

M_o_3
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Contact your LL, in writing.
    The address should be on your contract.
    If not, and there is an agency, the agency has 21 days from receipt of your written request for his address to provide it.
    Or write to the agents.

However, please note:
    Unless the Tenancy Agreement makes express provision, the LL does not need to repair a cooker. Read the underlined part of s.11(1) (Landlord and Tenant Act 1985) below:

Repairing obligations in short leases.

In a lease to which this section applies there is implied a covenant by the lessor:
    (a) to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),
    (b) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and
    (c) to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.

So unless the lease specifically states the LL will repair, maintain, replace the oven, he doesn't have to. However many LLs do not know this.

Or they know it, but like me repair/replace anyway as part of good maintenance, good management, and good LL/tenant relations.

Finally, however, the fault may invalidate the Gas Safety Certificate (worth pointing out to the LL) and he has a duty of care.
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 May 2010 at 2:23PM
    As a LL, my understanding is that if the cooker was provided by me, it is my responsibility to arrange / pay for it to be fixed or replaced.

Tell your LL. Bear in mind though that you will have to wait till he or she can reasonably get a tradesman out, particularly as it is a Bank holiday.
  • dannyjebb
    dannyjebb Posts: 428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for all your replies :) We can still cope with the top oven to cook bits for the next few days. Will give the landlord a ring on Tuesday and let him know. (dont want to spoil his bank holiday weekend) :)
  • terryw
    terryw Posts: 4,396 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Many oven lighters work from batteries. Check that this is not the simple answer to the problem.
    "If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
    Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"
    Extract from "If" by Rudyard Kipling
  • BitterAndTwisted
    BitterAndTwisted Posts: 22,492 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Where repairs are concerned all communication with the landlord or their agent should be in writing only. Phoning or texting in the short-term might make sense to you now but in the long-term it may not
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    DawnW wrote: »
    As a LL, my understanding is that if the cooker was provided by me, it is my responsibility to arrange / pay for it to be fixed or replaced.

Tell your LL. Bear in mind though that you will have to wait till he or she can reasonably get a tradesman out, particularly as it is a Bank holiday.

Wrong - G_M has posted the true state of affairs. Most, if not all, decent LL's will maintain the oven though as most houses are impossible to let without one.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is it a fully furnished/ part furnished/not furnished let?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure