The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

EquiDebt

Penfold77
Penfold77 Posts: 21 Forumite
edited 7 December 2012 at 6:50PM in Debt-free wannabe
Good Evening,

A while ago (August) I received the first of my comunication from this company and I came on the forum and followed your advice - sent the various letters and I have never heard from them again.

However I stayed enrolled with the credit expert system just as a precaution, and I have just hd an alert that on the 2nd December (ish) the very same company have done a search on my details.

Can anyone help me and explain why? or what they are trying to do?

Regards,
Penfold

Comments

• Hi sorry to be a pain but can anyone offer advice?
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Who knows. They don't seem to know what they are doing half the time. ;)

As long as the search is an "unrecorded" equity (as it should be), then it's irrelevant as no creditors checking your file would see it.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I had a DCA search my file last year. I think they were after information about my circumstances.

Without this information they cannot place your account on a certain track for processing. Or update that track.

A useful article here about how hard DCAs try to get your information so they can decide how best to treat your account:
    http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index.php/Debt_Collectors:_On_the_Inside_-_Q_%26_A%27s
    You might need to read between the lines a bit but it made me realise why they ask the questions they do. All of it in their own interests.
  • It is an unrecorded search, but after no communication for 4 months I thought it was all over and I had nothing to worry about and now this. The debt is well over the 6 years time barred, I was out of the country for 8 so I don't understand why they are even looking in to things after they have received all the letters.
    Should I just forget it? and hopefully that will be the end of it? Or should I write them again asking them to stop looking at my credit file?
  • Lensman_2
    Forumite
    I would forget it if they have respected your SB letter. No damage has been done to your credit file (apart from your annoyance).

I am sure you have better things to do with your weekend than get steamed up about this.
  • To be fair I do, but having been away for so long I came back to no credit file and I am just getting one sorted now after 12 months and now this.
    If they had of respected by SB why now check my credit file 4 months later?
  • Lensman_2
    Forumite
    As above - this will have no impact on your credit worthiness. You have sound grounds for complaint with the CRAs if it does.

Have a good weekend.
  • Cheers.. Panick over then. I will just wait and see if I ever here from them again and then I suppose as I have already warned them about going to various bodies - I just do that. Correct?
  • Another update... I just got back from a weekend away to a letter from them saying that they had closed there account and passed it back to the company it came from. Who would now investigate whether they TRIED to contact me during the past 6 years. Is this correct? I thought you had to actually have contact within the past 6 years, not just attempt contact, otherwise surely this whole situation would never end. Your thoughts?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Penfold77 wrote: »
    Another update... I just got back from a weekend away to a letter from them saying that they had closed there account and passed it back to the company it came from. Who would now investigate whether they TRIED to contact me during the past 6 years. Is this correct? I thought you had to actually have contact within the past 6 years, not just attempt contact, otherwise surely this whole situation would never end. Your thoughts?

It's a nonsense argument, and dealt with by Fermi in post#7 of the SB thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure