Descaling a nespresso machine

I treated myself a while ago to a second-hand Nespresso machine on ebay.

I went to use it at the weekend, but the water isn't going through the pod despite its reassuring glugging noise, so I am guessing it must need descaling.

Has anyone used white vinegar in their machine to descale it or are the Durgol descaling packs at over £10 for two treatments really worth the money?
:D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D

Comments

• morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I'm sorry, this isn't the answer. I was given a nespresso machine and find it terrifying. I hardly use it because we have such hard water here and i'm afraid of it furring up and exploding one day (yes I know that's daft). So I'd be really interested in the answer to this too....someone ?....please?.....
  • Hi,
    I have a Nespresso machine-a Turmix 150.I have only ever used the Nespresso 'descaling kit',so can't advise you about using vinegar,but it's not something I would do myself.Which one do you have?
    Looking at the bumf I got with the machine,it says that if the coffee flows slowly,or not at all:

-check that the water reservoir is filled and correctly in position.

I have done this before,making a coffee when there was not enough water in the reservoir,so air gets in the system.If air gets in the system you need to 'purge' it.Let me know if this is the case,and I can hopefully tell you how to fix it.When this happens the machine makes very weird noises!

It also says not to use vinegar as this will damage it!
  • JayJay14
    JayJay14 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    If you go to A$da or Wilkos they do a descaler -.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Household_Cleaning/Oust_All_Purpose_Descaler_Superfast_Action_3x25ml.html

We use this on our fancy Gaggia as the branded stuff is a silly price. It works fine.

I don't use vinegar as it takes me ages to get rid of the taste.
  • Aless
    Aless Posts: 127 Forumite
    We have had a nespresso machine for several years and have only ever used the kits from Nespresso. We live in a very hard water area and have to descale every 3 months or so (you can see the scum). I don't think a filter will help with limescale. I guess it depends how much you paid for it as to whether you are willing to risk trying something else.

As another poster said the instructions say not to use vinegar.
  • CFC
    CFC Posts: 3,119 Forumite
    Call the Nespresso freephone number and go through to the technical option. They will troubleshoot the machine, this is free, even if it is an old machine. You can try this first in case it isn't that it's scaled up. If they can't fix it then you can order and try the descale kit. I wouldn't use anything other than their own kits, the machines work at a reasonably high pressure.
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220
    Forumite
    I was in the Bicester dear-old-Lakeland shop yesterday spending too much money (I now ration myself to two trips a year) and when I got home and was looking at a new Lakeland catalogue which had just arrived while I was out, and there was a descaler product for about £3 I think it was, which they expressly mention as being suitable for nespresso machines....how annoying as I could have just scooped one up while I was there.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    Forumite
    Hi Angela

As yours is such a specific enquiry , I've moved it to the I wanna board to see if you can get other responses

Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    thanks
    Zip :D
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• I'm sorry, this isn't the answer. I was given a nespresso machine and find it terrifying. I hardly use it because we have such hard water here and i'm afraid of it furring up and exploding one day (yes I know that's daft). So I'd be really interested in the answer to this too....someone ?....please?.....

I also live in a hard water area,but only descale about every six months.My machine works fine -I've had it nearly five years.Mind you,I don't use it every day,and,if I make a coffee,always rinse it afterwards.

I know what you mean about being 'terrified' of machines.I personally use the microwave with trepidation,and still haven't used my pressure-cooker.It seems too daunting.....But please be assured that your Nespresso machine will not explode!
  • You can use citric acid which is available very cheaply in the supermarket baking isle near the herbs and spices.

I have invesitgated this and it is very similar to the make up of the descaling agent. It should work just fine and I will be using it next time I need to do my machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure