PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Stylee window cleaning - ideas please!

Comments

• mah_jong
    mah_jong Posts: 1,284 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Yes..i am also of the ...thery only get done when they need it... brigade !!

Hot water with drop of washing up liquid ...squeegee, clean water and then the blade up and down. If there are streaks (usually are...). thats proof I have just done them!!!

Cost......negligable!

Inside I still have some spray from the years that I thought cleaning windows was important!!!! They get done occasionally ....like when I paint or have to wash the curtains!!!!

:-)
  • Jnelhams
    Jnelhams Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    I discovered by chance, that if you make ZOFLORA up in a spray bottle the kind you use for plants, and spray windows, glass Tv screens lightly with that instead not only can you wipe them clean with some old non lint cloth or kitchen towel but they smell better than the chemical sprays or vinegar.

ZOFLORA is the disinfectant you buy in tiny little yellow boxes for about 70p.
    My Mind wanders, if found please return.
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I use a microfibre cloth (buy mine for £1 at factory outlet shop) dont need any chemicals just moisten the cloth with water and wipe the windows...no smears. great on tiles, mirrors, baths.....just general cleaning. wash in washing machine and last for ages.
    x x x
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I swear by the microfibre cloth as well - warm water, a drop (only one!) of washing up liquid in it, wipe down glass & frames with wet microfibre cloth, and then wipe again with a dry microfibre cloth.

It's almost fun cleaning windows that way - takes a fraction of the time, and no streaks yepeeh!

I use the e-cloth , found the cheaper microfibre cloths don't do such a good job, and also don't keep their effectiveness long enough. I resisted paying £8.99 for two e-cloths for a long time and used some cheaper ones, J-cloths, special "window cleaner's secrets" cloths, the latest and greatest glass cleaner stuff etc - - but eventually I splashed out on 2 e-cloths the other day in Waitrose......I wish I'd done that 12 months ago!

I could rant about how wonderful microfibre cloths (usually just with plain water, no chemicals whatsoever needed, or just dry for dusting!) are for other things all around the house, or the car - if you haven't tried them, you must, they are just plain wonderful!

Apart from Waitrose, John Lewis and B&Q sell the e-cloth, as does the e-cloth online shop. You could also check out eBay.
  • I am an ex window cleaner (which means I grumble when I have to do my own) I have a long CV so it is just one of many jobs I can claim to know a bit about.

Some have already mentioned that they use squeegies and washing up liquid, this is, by far, the best method but I have a few pointers for you....

Use a normal washing up liquid, don't use an antibacterial one or you will get streaks.

Get a professional squeegie - ettore or ungans do them in brass or steel, pay that little bit more and you will get better results and longer life too. Check that the rubber is not stretched or worn too.

An applicator is not vital but will save time. Whether it's a sponge or an applicator, wet it in the water then squirt a bit more Fairy (oops! but it does work best in my experience and leaves your hands sooooo soft) on it before working up a bit of a lather using your hand. Dunk it back into the bucket before soaping up the glass but dont go right to the top, leave a line about quarter of an inch then take your squeegie and start in a sideways motion from about the top third of the glass moving up to take in the dry bit. Use a zig zag pattern finally finishing on the bottom of the frame with your rubber wiping off the excess water from the frame in one movement. Give the squeegie a hard flick to throw off the water and there is no need to wipe it with a cloth.

The zig zag method sounds daunting but it just takes practice
  • Hi

OH uses a soapy sponge & blade both inside and outside windows. I have aso used vinegar solution but find this better for inside rather than outside. He used to be a window cleaner though and literally takes him seconds to do a window without smears and runs etc. Try and get him to do outside at least every 3-4 weeks. The cost of a window cleaner here is £9.00 for a small 2 bed semi :eek: ..im not paying that..lol.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • NixNoo
    NixNoo Posts: 123 Forumite
    Def same as Barbie Babe - vinegar and newspaper, very old fashioned way but works everytime.

:T :T :T
    Am I talking to myself or wot?!:eek: :eek:

:o:p Please come and play with me, I'm bored xx :T :p

Weight 23 Mar 06 = 11st 9.5lbs
    (Maybe writing it on here will make me loose it now?) :confused:
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    I agree with Innovate, that e-cloths are brilliant! Expensive but they do seem to leave less smears than cheaper cloths
  • itgirlinuk
    itgirlinuk Posts: 465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Oh my god! I have never cleaned my windows, generally move out of the flat before I need to.... Heehehe...he..

But I now I have to. So, thanks for all your comments.
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ...........wet it in the water then squirt a bit more Fairy (oops! but it does work best in my experience and leaves your hands sooooo soft) on it before working up a bit of a lather using your hand. Dunk it back into the bucket before soaping up the glass but dont go right to the top, leave a line about quarter of an inch then take your squeegie and start in a sideways motion from about the top third of the glass moving up to take in the dry bit. Use a zig zag pattern finally finishing on the bottom of the frame with your rubber wiping off the excess water from the frame in one movement. Give the squeegie a hard flick to throw off the water and there is no need to wipe it with a cloth.

The zig zag method sounds daunting but it just takes practice

LOL, FirstClassMale - I don't doubt for a sec that you master this complex procedure with ***** stars and that the results are great, but to window-cleaning-laypeople like myself, this sounds way to difficult. My "e-cloth-method" requires none of this sophistication, it's childs-play and the results can't be any worse than doing it the professional way.

Plus, whilst you are at it, you can clean the window frames with the same cloths, to the same sparkling cleanliness as the glass. You can't do that with a squeegy, or can you? Not to talk about all the other uses the (same!) e-cloths have - mine go into the washing machine after the windows are done, and then I use them to clean mirrors, tiles, the dashboard in my car etc etc.

But thanks for the tip about the antibacterial washing-up liquid, I didn't know that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure