HELP!!! I need advice urgently please

Options
2»

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Id say 100 quid a week for food is pretty high as well, I dont know how many live in your house, but I reckon you can halve this with some planning and a trip over to the moneysving old style board
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • TheAble
    TheAble Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello,

I'm no expert with IVAs and the rest, I could recommend areas where you could cut down but with 5 kids, I can imagine you won't be able to get much off that food bill and the high petrol bill I would imagine is necessary for your husband's business.

With £60K of debt, we're going to have to try to see the big picture. Your SOA is in fact not ask good as it looks because you haven't made any income tax provision. With income of £2400 a month, you'll need to factor in at least £600 a month for this.

I'm sorry but you're really going to have to give up your student course and get back to work. The reward you'll get from the degree will pale into insignificance compared with the relative reward of earning some decent money.

Secondly, I would seriously consider selling your house and downsizing radically. How much equity do you have? If you could sell up, pay off those debts and rent a place for around £500/month it'd take a massive weight off your shoulders.

If you have anything else of value you could sell (eg second car) you should as well.

Sorry if this sounds drastic, but unless you do something major you will inevitably lose your house and be bankrupted.

I wish you all the best - good luck!
  • WannabeMortgageFree_2
    Options
    Just meant to add we've also got 4 children and another on the way and our monthly food bill (including baby milk/nappies etc) is around £220... We manage this by shopping at Tesco's and never buying anything to keep... Most of our dinners and lunches are bought the same day we eat them, that way you can often get the best products but at reduced prices on sale!

Good luck!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Lightbulb Moment - 28th Feb 07
    Total Debt at that time - £28100

IF - £11000 ; Egg - £4500 ; Capital1 - £1600 ; HSBC - £8000 ; Lloyds TSB - £3000
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    there are a lot of uncertainties that need clarifying before one can see the best way forward

a. OH income : is that an average of his last year?
    b. is this income net after allowing for tax and NI?

c. on the spending side there seem a lot of things missing ..with 4 children you have nothing down for clothes, kids activites/school costs/pocket money /presents and you have a car but nothing down for car tax/servicing/repairs/MOT etc

d. people have already comments on sky/tvrental/mobiles which could be cut... also stop contributing to the pension for a while might make sense

e. but you need to really find out what you really spend, so start a spending diary and write down every single thing you spend and also think about all the annual/one off type things and all the kids related spending.

f. only when you really know what your income and true spending totals are does it make sense to look at the options.... for example it may well be that once you work out the proper totals that you couldn't actually pay for a remortgage (even if you could get one ).

also what is the house worth?
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    How about a studnet loan as a lower cost lending alternative?
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • ihatebeingindebt
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote:
    there are a lot of uncertainties that need clarifying before one can see the best way forward

a. OH income : is that an average of his last year?
    b. is this income net after allowing for tax and NI?

c. on the spending side there seem a lot of things missing ..with 4 children you have nothing down for clothes, kids activites/school costs/pocket money /presents and you have a car but nothing down for car tax/servicing/repairs/MOT etc

d. people have already comments on sky/tvrental/mobiles which could be cut... also stop contributing to the pension for a while might make sense

e. but you need to really find out what you really spend, so start a spending diary and write down every single thing you spend and also think about all the annual/one off type things and all the kids related spending.

f. only when you really know what your income and true spending totals are does it make sense to look at the options.... for example it may well be that once you work out the proper totals that you couldn't actually pay for a remortgage (even if you could get one ).

also what is the house worth?
    To answer some of your questions:-

OH income: This is his projected monthly income based on the contract he's on at the moment and as hes a builder he's on the CIS scheme which means that the contractor pays tax for him. We do self assessment at the end of the year and inevitably end up with a tax rebate once all our expenses are taken off his earnings.

Our petrol is high at the moment because his mate - who he works with has broken his foot and he's the one with the van and he's having to use the family car which is an old 8 seater due to the fact that with 5 kids we quite often have to get 7 people in the car! - Petrol isn't always this high (I'm just looking on the black side!!!)

The mobile phone is a bit of a problem at the moment. OH uses this for work and its how he gets his contracts. He was put on a 2 yr contract by ClubMobile who said they were Orange which he disputed because that wasn't what he wanted. He complained to Orange who didn't want to know and basically said he had to put up with it. The contract comes to an end next month and we are already looking around for a new package.

Ditto the phone and internet - I'm trying to get onto a package where I can combine the two together which will save me about £20 a month

Sky subscription - this suggestion is noted and is something I'm going to look into - thanks

Life Insurance is high because we are both smokers but have made appointments with the Drs to help us give up - wish us luck!!

Regarding the shopping - I know this is an area that I can really reduce my outgoings. I already do the shopping on the internet which helps because I can see what I'm buying and how its adding up but I'm going to have to try and be a little less frivolous.

Regarding the kids activities - I am very lucky in the fact that my parents pay for most of the kids' activities together with clothes and shoes and at the moment I am thanking my lucky stars for their help and support with this.

The spending diary is a really good idea and I am going to start it today.

Downsizing although an immediate solution is not really an option for us. There is a shortage of rental properties in our area, likewise Council and HA housing and I don't really want to disrupt the kids by taking them out of their schools and away from their friends. My son is 14 and about to start his GCSE courses in September and my daughter will be starting secondary school in September

Thank you everyone for your comments. Apart from anything its nice to know that you're not alone. I had started to think that I was the only one going through this but now I've taken this first step I know that maybe there are things that I can do to make this better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure