PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tenancy agreement template

Anyone know where i can download a free tenancy agreement in word so i can edit it to suit?
:D MOVE ALONG........ nothing to see here..! :rolleyes:

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Good selection of docs here.
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    G_M wrote: »
    Good selection of docs here.

But that site costs £75 to join :confused:

OP, there is a free download here

http://www.riky.co.uk/more_info.asp?current_ID=554&gclid=CKnB0ej04psCFZgU4wodvl7s-A

The word version so you can amend it to suit yourself costs £4.95, but you could always print off the free download and then type it up yourself.

(note I found this on a google search - I haven't actually checked out the document)
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    i get sooooo frustrated at new landlords who come on here on a weekly basis asking for free tenancy agreements

when will they ever learn that the ONLY time you will know if your agreement is a legal document is in court - you will be trying to get a tenant out who has not paid you rent for months and trashed your house - and the judge throws out your case because your tenancy agreement is rubbish

if you are new to this business - and it is a complex business - then either join RLA or NLA and do some reading about your legal responsibilities and get their versions of a tenancy agreement - at least you will know it comes from an accurate source

joining such a professionals body (which is tax deductible and which gives you cheaper house insurance, legal help line, all the docs you can possibly want) shows tenants that you are a proper landlord - not an amateur trying to do things on the cheap

there are 69 different pieces of legislation covering landlord and tenancy matters......
  • nomis21
    nomis21 Posts: 200 Forumite
    clutton wrote: »
    i get sooooo frustrated at new landlords who come on here on a weekly basis asking for free tenancy agreements

when will they ever learn that the ONLY time you will know if your agreement is a legal document is in court - you will be trying to get a tenant out who has not paid you rent for months and trashed your house - and the judge throws out your case because your tenancy agreement is rubbish

if you are new to this business - and it is a complex business - then either join RLA or NLA and do some reading about your legal responsibilities and get their versions of a tenancy agreement - at least you will know it comes from an accurate source

joining such a professionals body (which is tax deductible and which gives you cheaper house insurance, legal help line, all the docs you can possibly want) shows tenants that you are a proper landlord - not an amateur trying to do things on the cheap

there are 69 different pieces of legislation covering landlord and tenancy matters......

Yeah sorry clutton you are right. Iam not trying to do anything on the cheap, iam sorry to have frustrated you. I just wanted to compare tenancy agreements with the one i have but i was not prepared to pay as some sites are expensive.
    I understand the importance of joining such professions and i will seek advice on this.
    Thanks for yr comments
    :D MOVE ALONG........ nothing to see here..! :rolleyes:
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    there is no such thing as a standard tenancy agreement - i have seen one half a page long and seen one 75 pages long.

i have seen amateur landlords using scottish agreements in England and i have seen agreements that are so out of date they would not be valid

the AST is THE most important document you need in this business
  • But that site costs £75 to join :confused:

Just want to say that the RLA tenancy agreement is designed by the professionals and solicitors behind the Residential Landlords Association.

It is a one-size-fits all tenancy agreement that is designed to be as clear and concise as can be.

For those who want to add conditions, the RLA can provide an "Addendum" that can be used to add extra conditions and RLA advise is that any conditions you want to remove, can be struck out and signed.

The AST is free for RLA members, which is where the £75 comes in and non-members can purchase it for £5, which helps fund the RLA's lobbying fund.

Clutton is correct, there is no such thing as a standard AST, but the best advice is to not rush out and make your own from scratch, even if it is from a template - unless of course you are willing to run it by a solicitor to check, in which case the cost will spiral.

Take comfort in the quality of documents you can get from any of the better known suppliers out there like the RLA or NLA, you have enough to worry about running your tenancies.

Being from the RLA, I can tell you that the RLA AST is used in it's tens of thousands throughout England & Wales, it can be completed on-screen or by hand and is in keeping with legislation.

One final word, there are actually over 80 different laws and statutes controlling the PRS, it was only 50 five years ago _pale_

Cheers

John

"I can only be nice to one person each day and today isn't your day - in fact, its not looking good for tomorrow either"
  • hi. sorry to interupt, but i am new to all of this, and i haven't got a clue how to start a new post. could someone help me out please? xxxxxxxx
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    rla_john wrote: »
    Just want to say that the RLA tenancy agreement is designed by the professionals and solicitors behind the Residential Landlords Association.

Since you have dragged up an old post (presumably to advertise based on your username?) I thought I would point out that these are the same "professionals" who thought that taking 2 months rent at the start of a tenancy was not a deposit. :rolleyes:
  • Simple, go back up to the forum (not this conversation for example) and then click the blue button (called "New Thread") at the top of the list of conversations.

From there, enter your thread title and subject, then your cooking with gas !!

Regards,

John

P.S. Welcome to MSE!

"I can only be nice to one person each day and today isn't your day - in fact, its not looking good for tomorrow either"
  • thankyou for your help xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport