Rates are dropping fast

2»

Comments

• gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have been rolling cash into bonds and preference shares, but the yields on those are also dropping rapidly. On the plus side, this does mean prices are rising, but I wish they'd waited until I'd bought my fill!
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    coastline wrote: »
    Well that politician was our PM..David Cameron..
    Quote...What we have to do is get the banks lending again...June 2010.
    One of many.

Darling and Cable can share it around the different parties equally well.
  • ihr
    ihr Posts: 18 Forumite
    Does anyone know of a website/source of statistics showing how average instant access savings rates change over time?

I want to get a sense of what's happened before... mostly because i want to know if rates will rise again soon.
  • Gromitt
    Gromitt Posts: 5,063 Forumite
    ihr wrote: »
    i want to know if rates will rise again soon.
    Don't we all ! Rates have fallen because government have given the banks access to very cheap cash. Once that cash runs out and the banks want more, they'll hike their savings rates to attract people. But I don't think you'll see good competitive rates until about 2015 at least.

So you might as well help the economy by going down the shops and blowing the lot :D
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I want to get a sense of what's happened before... mostly because i want to know if rates will rise again soon.

There's no prior event in history on which to base a forecast.

Until the wider economic and financial (bank) issues are totally addressed. We will remain in unchartered waters.

Banks like consumers and Governments. Need to deleverage. So the BOE will continue to intervene to provide financial stability.
  • ihr
    2015? Oh.

So this series of events is unique, but have rates been this low in the last few years? Or is the worst it has been?
  • coastline
    coastline Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Does anyone know of a website/source of statistics showing how average instant access savings rates change over time?

http://swanlowpark.co.uk/bank0604.jsp
  • ihr
    coastline wrote: »
    I couldn't quote the link because I'm a new user, but I liked it.

Brilliant! Thank you.... although, ugh. I wish I'd started saving before 2009.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure