PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)

Comments

• mardatha wrote: »
    Made soup, with cabbage onion lentils barley chicken stock. Its bland and too cabbagey. What can I chuck in to make it tastier? before teatime tonigh!t :eek:

Have you got any bacon you could chop into v. small bits, then fry and add to the soup?
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Got bacon and tatties ready. thankyou both ! IOU xxx
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ess-six wrote: »
    Is there a list anywhere of all the different challenges? - I keep seeing them in people's signatures and think 'that looks interesting, I'll find out a bit more about that' and then can't actually find the thread?

Thanks

Not that I'm aware of. They are spread all across the boards.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • applepad
    applepad Posts: 383
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Yorkshire puddings wanted for tea, but only got SR flour, will it be ok?
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would think so, might be a bit fluffier than normal but I am sure they will taste fine :)
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • valerie57
    valerie57 Posts: 140 Forumite
    I don't think they will work. For a reason that I don't understand using SR flour for Yorkshires means that they don't rise. I had a complete disaster when I used SR flour by mistake.
  • Have 2 questions please oh gurus

Milks sel by date and useby were 3rd dec, want to make a macaroni cheese and a hot fudge chocolate cake, alright to use?

Also, receipe for hot fudge cake says flour but doesnt specify, what shall i use?
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    With the milk, I'd go for the sniff and taste test - if it smells OK and tastes OK, then it's probably fine to use. (And I'm very fussy about my milk - if it's even slightly off then it has to go - not very OS of me, I know. :o)

As far as the fudge cake goes, it's not something I've ever made myself, but a quick G00gle suggests that most recipes use self raising flour, so that seems a good bet.

HTH. :)
  • My fridge was left slightly open last night, and when I woke up this morning, the stuff at the bottom is still cold, but the stuff at the top like sausages, bacon, cheesecakes, cream feels not as cold, a bit warm. There's also two already cooked chickens on the middle shelf that feel warm too.
    Do I have to throw it all away? I don't buy meaty stuff often because I find it super expensive, so I really really don't want to throw it away.
    I think the fridge was open for about 8 hours, maybe a bit more.

At least I've learnt something from this, in future I'm just going to put drinks and things that are okay to go warm at the top of the fridge, and all the important/expensive stuff at the bottom!
    :o I'm a money wasting expert. :o
  • ^The only thing I worry about is lukewarm meat like that...its one of the only times I throw food away...not even sure if I would give it to the dog. Unfortunate that you have so much in there. :(

Quick question - Whats the thing called that you put between a pan and the hob, to slow the heat right down...? The one I once had had a wood handle and a metal..round flat area.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport