PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Aluminium cans worth 1p each

Comments

• DSmiffy
    DSmiffy Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    So, if it doesn't stick to a magnet, it's aluminium and can be recycled then? So most beer cans, and all soft drinks cans should be ok, is that right ?
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Should be fine, yes :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • purplegirluk1
    purplegirluk1 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SnowyOwl wrote:
    Gosh, this reminds me of someone who used to live in NW London near where I lived some years ago. I never went into his house but from the outside you could see cans stacked up at every window, and all outside in his garden and drive. Cans everywhere, a complete and utter eyesore (though not smelly!). I don't know what happened to him, his house was one day cleared and he was gone.

Bizarrely he turned up on Blind Date on one of their "oldies" specials. He actually seemed quite nice...but his house...ughhhh!! Any woman would run a mile if they saw that mess!

Perhaps he was saving his cans up for a nice suit to wear on Blind Date?? Oh I hope he found a lovely lady he sounds like a bit of a star if you ask me.
  • DSmiffy wrote:
    So, if it doesn't stick to a magnet, it's aluminium and can be recycled then?
    ALL cans can be recycled, it's just that steel is much lower value than aluminium.
  • The local scrap metal merchants I visit pay 50p per kilo. A black bin back can hold 3 -4 kilos depending if you flatten the cans or not. So £1.50 to £2.00 per black bag!

Not going to make a huge difference but more than you get for them in your bin or at the ubiquitous recycling bins at supermarkets etc.
    Wealthsaving - a way of life?
  • Well if thats the case i'm going to start collecting them. Can't understand why charities don't supply bins for these cans in schools and public places.
    Seems such an easy way to raise money.
    Leave a big clear bin with a phone number to ring or text when full!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Can't understand why charities don't supply bins for these cans in schools and public places.
    My sons' school has been collecting cans, paper and foil for a couple of years now and the procedes go towards the school funds.
  • tiff
    tiff Posts: 6,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Savvy Shopper!
    Well if thats the case i'm going to start collecting them. Can't understand why charities don't supply bins for these cans in schools and public places.
    Seems such an easy way to raise money.
    Leave a big clear bin with a phone number to ring or text when full!

Why dont you email some charities to suggest it?
    “A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
  • At our school we always had collection bins, after Blue Peter started the recycling - I am surprised that they dont still do this!
  • You can see if there's a Cash for Cans centre near you using these links.

http://www.alupro.org.uk/frame2.htm

http://www.thinkcans.com/

Hope these help.

Lotta
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, how big my house was, or what kind of car I drove. But the world may be a little better, because I was important in the life of a child."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure