Any recommended Jersey and Guernsey holiday accomodations? Any tips?

Comments

• Brooker_Dave
    Brooker_Dave Posts: 5,196 Forumite
    Lifeforms wrote: »
    I don't really want to fly over, so I'll live with a ferry happily.

Have a look at: http://www.condorbreaks.com/ some very good deals.

Don't go on the slow ferry - it really is slow.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Itismehonest
    Itismehonest Posts: 4,352 Forumite
    I've been in September & used the high-speed Condor ferry.
    It's the design - it sort of glides on the water like a speed boat - which means it can't put to sea in high waves but we had no problems either going there or back. The slow ferry is the normal type.
    My thoughts were if you're going to be surrounded by people throwing up or, worse still, feeling rough yourself then the quicker the journey the better :D
    This was a few years back but then, if the fast service had to be cancelled, they put people who had pre-booked on the slow one, anyway, but that docked at Weymouth whereas the fast one used Poole.
  • Brooker_Dave
    I'm thinking September and the trip might not be so smooth, so the long ferry would be best

Guernsey is much nicer than Jersey (Jersey is far more like everyday England), and the ferry stops at Guernsey first, making the crossing far shorter, plus Guernsey has Herm and Sark to explore.

• Brooker_Dave
    This was a few years back but then, if the fast service had to be cancelled, they put people who had pre-booked on the slow one, anyway, but that docked at Weymouth whereas the fast one used Poole.

All the fast ones are going from Poole this season, the harbour at Weymouth has issues, the slow truck ferry sails from Portsmouth.

• hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    i've just booked, but staying in four star, been 32 years since I was there and I fancied a quality hotel, package deals can be a lot better than independent, depending on where you fly from, fewer options up north
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    edited 19 March 2012 at 11:14PM
    I'm thinking September and the trip might not be so smooth, so the long ferry would be best.
    I just remember a trip to France, when coming back we boarded the Ferry, went to bed expecting to wake up in England, cept we woke up still in France! too rough a journey to leave. I always felt sorry for my Brother then, as he had work to get back to, he went a day earlier on the Lorry transport, and had a terrible journey back. When we eventually got going, it was pretty calm :D

I would definitely love a recommendation! That's pretty cheap, looking at some of the places in the mags I've got, they're a bit dear, and a bit excessive!

That sounds horrible, I get a bit seasick on long crossings hence why I avoided the ferry this time around and flew as no way was I spending 10 hours or so feeling sick, 4 hours is my limit at the moment (when I go elsewhere) :D It's very very rare for me to fly, so it made a change for me personally to go by air and see things from up above, instead of from the sea. .

Anyway, I stayed in La Bonne Vie guesthouse, I do recommend it :) It's at Roseville street.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    hcb42, can I be cheeky and ask how long you're going, and for a rough ball park figure? :D Have you've done it as a package holiday?

I don't actually mind a long ferry, and I think I'd prefer it over the quick one (weird I know!)
    Thank you everyone for your help! It's most appreciated :D
    I'm getting quite taken with this! It's bit of a bigger step for me, out of the country, as a female too, into a new place, and a bit more than a quick trip to Blackpool, which was last years quick break, but I've always wondered about down there, and loved to see it, so now it's time to bite the bullet!
  • Brooker_Dave
    hcb42, can I be cheeky and ask how long you're going, and for a rough ball park figure? :D Have you've done it as a package holiday?

I don't actually mind a long ferry, and I think I'd prefer it over the quick one (weird I know!)
    Thank you everyone for your help! It's most appreciated :D
    I'm getting quite taken with this! It's bit of a bigger step for me, out of the country, as a female too, into a new place, and a bit more than a quick trip to Blackpool, which was last years quick break, but I've always wondered about down there, and loved to see it, so now it's time to bite the bullet!

The slow ferry is essentially for lorries and freight, so it might not be much fun - http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Condor/Commodore_Clipper-20020604-igb--04.jpg

• Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    It's definetely worth it :) I felt safe there been a female solo traveller :) As I say, you only regret what you don't do :) so just do it. I had never travelled solo before until, erm, last week, and it was definetely a positive experience :)

I don't regret going, I don't regret going alone, true, I met with friends some of the time that lived over there, but some of it, I was alone and could do what I wanted, when I wanted, and Jersey felt a safe and lovely place to visit :) The only daunting thing was going through airport security on my own as that was a bit weird.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • Lifeforms
    Lifeforms Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    From what I can tell the conventional and fast ferry all offer the same basic accommodations/onboard stuff, booze, food, etc. I do guess though, that price will be a factor in it, and when I will actually travel. If I go over night (gotta get down from Upper Scotland to Bottom England first) then I will definitely go for the longer ferry, Although having just looked it up, no over night ferries it seems, so never mind that one!

I should fly, it would be easier, but short story is I can't really, I don't react well to flying, and I think I'll head mid way down to visit relatives on the way down anyway and that puts me about the same distance from an airport, to a ferry port, and I'd be more comfortable on a ferry, but I will seriously look at the faster one, if I defiantly can't do an over night on the slower one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure