Disability Premium -who qualifies?

Hello, I have tried looking for the answer on a few websites but am going round in circles, so hoping some kind soul here could explain/help me to understand.

I am trying to work out if my husband should be entitled to Disability Premium.

He has been on IB and DLA for more than a year now. The last correspondence I can find regarding his IB is from February 2008 and says the following: Basic Rate £84.50, Incapacity Age Addition £8.90, the amount each week before adjustments is £93.40. He gets paid £186.80 each fortnight. His DLA is £187 every 4 weeks.

Am I right in assuming that he should then also be entitled to Disability Premium? :confused: From what I can make out he might, because he is on higher rate DLA and has been receiving these benefits for more than 52 weeks. Does anybody know how much this is and how he should apply, i.e. via his DLA or via his IB?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Carol.

Comments

• judexx
    judexx Posts: 488
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As far as I recall, the Disability Premium is applied to Income Support and Housing/Council tax benefit. If you are in receipt of any of these it will be calculated automatically - it is not something that you have to apply for.

HTH

Jude
  • cazziej
    cazziej Posts: 321
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    judexx wrote: »
    As far as I recall, the Disability Premium is applied to Income Support and Housing/Council tax benefit. If you are in receipt of any of these it will be calculated automatically - it is not something that you have to apply for.

HTH

Jude

Thanks Jude - we dont get IS or HB/CTB so I guess it is a no no.

Best wishes

Carol
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    My disability premium is added to income support rather than DLA, so jude is probably right in that IS is the quaifying factor.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • Agree - if you're not eligible for IB then you get IS with disability premium so the total amounts are about the same.
  • Hi HGLTsuperstar
    (Agree - if you're not eligible for IB then you get IS with disability premium so the total amounts are about the same.)

Not to sure if that is correct there is a difference my friends girl gets DLA , IS with a disability premium, gets the cold weather payments ,does not pay rent, free meds scrips and free eye tests .

my son gets DLA and IB but has to pay rent ,pays for his scrips and does not get cold weather payments , or free eye tests
  • black_paw
    black_paw Posts: 1,791
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    mad isn't it ? i get DLA and IB and IIB, but to pay some towards tax ,rent ,pays for prescriptions and does not get cold weather payments , or free eye tests , i think those on IB and more should get the same as IS as the money is about the same
    the truth is out there ... on these pages !!
    <3
  • Dobiesmon wrote: »
    Hi HGLTsuperstar
    (Agree - if you're not eligible for IB then you get IS with disability premium so the total amounts are about the same.)

Not to sure if that is correct there is a difference my friends girl gets DLA , IS with a disability premium, gets the cold weather payments ,does not pay rent, free meds scrips and free eye tests .

my son gets DLA and IB but has to pay rent ,pays for his scrips and does not get cold weather payments , or free eye tests

I was referring to the direct payment not the "perks" of one benefit over another - don't get me started on that one!
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    They changed the system and brought in IB so that people wouldn't get those benefits, cutting costs by the back door.

Have you applied for IS/HB/CTB since getting the higher DLA award? Sometimes you're entitled to it then because the amount the law says you need to live on is higher with the higher rates of DLA and so you can become entitled. They don't automatically tell you though!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • i get the premium and i get it with my IS so i pressume if you get IS thats when you can get the premium?

however i wasnt getting this at 1st.... it was only when i had a benefit check that they realised they wasnt giving it me and they should have been for the past 3 years! they then owed me a massive total of 4000.00 :)
  • bjorky
    bjorky Posts: 52 Forumite
    Hi, you can go for income Support Top Up if your on middle or higher rate dla, your husband is on the higher rate of IB and has a portion of disability in it, he wont get the disability if your on IB am affraid, contact the First Benefit Contact centre who will help you with top up, you have nothing to lose, its easy and done over the phone, its number is 0800 055 6688. Try it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure