Benefits for 17 year old???

Hi,my son left school at 16,has not claimed ANY benefits as we were told we have to support him until he is 18,he has been looking for jobs,but nothing coming his way,can he claim ANY benefit,or does he have to wait until 18???Any advice would be great.
Kawasaki z750 Rider!

Comments

• Is the local McD's recruiting? When you need a job - you need a job!
    Debt: a bloomin big mortgage

all posts are made for entertainment value only, nothing I say should be taken as making any sense and should really be ignored
  • davmail
    davmail Posts: 371 Forumite
    Cheers.There's an indifference on here I dont enjoy.
    Kawasaki z750 Rider!
  • SmileBeHappy
    SmileBeHappy Posts: 9,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    if he'd gone to college he'd get £30 a week- as he didn't, i think its a job or nothing
  • Surely in his position any job is better than no job and zero income beyond what Mum and Dad shell out? Did he get any qualifications? Has he had a Saturday job? What are his plans for the future?
    Touch my food ... Feel my fork!
  • davmail wrote:
    Hi,my son left school at 16,has not claimed ANY benefits as we were told we have to support him until he is 18,he has been looking for jobs,but nothing coming his way,can he claim ANY benefit,or does he have to wait until 18???Any advice would be great.
    I have looked around and I think what you were told is right ,as he lives with you he won't get any benefits under 18,anything he would be entitled to would be judge against the household income

Hopefully though someone with more knowledge of benefits etc will be along soon

good luck
  • raq
    raq Posts: 1,716 Forumite
    give the jsa a go. When I rang recently the bloke on the phone said he have known people to ring on their 17th birthday.

you never know.
    :A Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    JSA is not usually paid to under 18s unless they are estranged from their parents. He should contact Connexions who may be able to help him look for suitable work/training.
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    It is correct that he cannot claim benefits as an individual if he is living at home, it will be assessed on household income.

If he registers with Connexions, they have 12 week courses for which he will be paid EMA for attending, and they can help the young person gain employment by improving life skills

Hope that helps
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    Has he done any work or training since leaving school? If he has he may be entitled to bridging allowance (it was £15 a week, but that was a year or two back, but if it didn't go up in the 10 years before) for 8 weeks
  • My son has sent a claim off for income support but they do want to know what money is coming into the household (he's 17). Your wages for instance. Am waiting to hear. Like yourself I'm supporting him at the moment and two other children 14 and 8, am also a single parent after 15 years of marrriage and am only able to work at the moment limited hours due to no childcare for the youngest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure