We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Horse manure...

Comments

• jeffdavies
    jeffdavies Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Manure placed in a heap, covered by a piece of old carpet will soon rot down.
    I built myself a small wooden enclosure a few years ago and during the warm summer months an added bonus is to regularly find a family of 'slow worms' lying directly underneath the carpet, enjoying the warm rays of the sun
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Murtle wrote:
    be wary next time Queenie offers tea and cakes.....

Oh blast!!! Must have been *your* BBQ narna that fell on the floor :p
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    :hello: Welcome jeff :D:D:D
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jeffdavies wrote:
    Manure placed in a heap, covered by a piece of old carpet will soon rot down.
    I built myself a small wooden enclosure a few years ago and during the warm summer months an added bonus is to regularly find a family of 'slow worms' lying directly underneath the carpet, enjoying the warm rays of the sun

Oooooo I take it you must live down south somewhere then ;) I've only ever seen one in the wild and it was beautiful! Seen plenty of grass snakes and the occasional adder though, and on rare occasions managed to spot a few lizards, but we have very few native reptiles in this country unfortunately :(

Welcome to OS :hello:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Queenie wrote:
    Oh blast!!! Must have been *your* BBQ narna that fell on the floor :p

that's why it tasted funny....I thought it was herbs and spices :p
  • Queenie
    Murtle wrote:
    that's why it tasted funny....I thought it was herbs and spices :p

It was ..... Herbs de Provence al la Man Ure :D
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Mink
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Incidentally, I remember Geoff Thing from Gardeners' World years ago talking about the double benefits of horse manure:

Stick it in a corner as advised and leave to rot down. While it's rotting down, it gets very hot, as already noted. So you use it as an outdoor propogator - put your plants in trays on top of it (not necessarily DIRECTLY onto it, you could stick a bit of carpet on it of course) and the heat from the manure will speed up the growth of all your plants. I've tried this and it's really brilliant.

Then, when it's well-rotted, dig it into your garden. Two for the price of one!

What's old Geoff's surname by the way, it's bugging me now...
  • ChocClare
    ChocClare Posts: 1,475 Forumite
    Don't all shout at once, I've just remembered it's HAMILTON. Thank goodness for that.
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    dig it in raw in the autumn, it'll be lush by spring. Or lay it thickly and steamingly:eek: over a weedy area; it'll kill off the weeds, and the ground will be lovely for next year.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure