The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

How much do I earn per hour?

Comments

• 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 25 November 2011 at 10:29AM
    lkmc01 wrote: »
    would say it is that simply. You're well paid!! I dont know anyone that earns more than me. I get £9ph

Really? Firstly, i don't have a clue what the majority of the people I know earn. Also, the average UK wage is £26,000 which equates to £14.28 per hour.

How do you know the OP is well paid? they haven't disclosed what their job is?
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Also, the average UK wage is £26,000 which equates to £14.28 per hour

But when the powers-that-be worked out that £14.28 did they take into consideration your holidays; lunch hours; ciggie breaks and even the time you went off to have a wee.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    SailorSam wrote: »
    But when the powers-that-be worked out that £14.28 did they take into consideration your holidays; lunch hours; ciggie breaks and even the time you went off to have a wee.

Nope, it's just the official figure given. the same as the official figure I am given for my annual wage, and I'm sure you are too.

I don't really understand your point here?
  • SailorSam wrote: »

they don't need to take half of that into consideration.
    if you're salaried then holidays etc don't matter as you're paid a salary, so your standard hourly rate equates to salary / weeks / hours = £ per hour.
  • buel
    buel Posts: 674 Forumite
    Thank you scheming_gypsy, that is wonderful. I wish people weren't so quick to jump on people on here.

To clarify, yes im just trying to make sure that my 'calculation' is correct as a friend is insisting that we earn under £20,000 and it is more like £19,500 but my assumption is that no one can get past the fact that we get 12 monthly payments of £1675 which come to £20,100.
    Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    19lottie82 wrote: »
    Really? Firstly, i don't have a clue what the majority of the people I know earn. Also, the average UK wage is £26,000 which equates to £14.28 per hour.

How do you know the OP is well paid? they haven't disclosed what their job is?
    I was thinking that as well. I wouldn't even get out of bed for £9 an hour. It just isn't worth it. £67.50 per day....£270.50 a week take home including student loan repayments...No thanks. That reflects my job though in that it is worth much more than £9 an hour.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • buel wrote: »
    Thank you scheming_gypsy, that is wonderful. I wish people weren't so quick to jump on people on here.

To clarify, yes im just trying to make sure that my 'calculation' is correct as a friend is insisting that we earn under £20,000 and it is more like £19,500 but my assumption is that no one can get past the fact that we get 12 monthly payments of £1675 which come to £20,100.

if you go to http://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php and stick 20100 into the salary box, it'll do the rest for you.
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    buel wrote: »

Ahhhh...before or after tax. When negotiating annual salaries you generally talk before tax. If you get £1,675 in your pocket every month then your annual salary is much higher.

Your friend might be talking about multplying the hourly rate back up into an annual salary and it might appear to be £19,500. Does it really matter?
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • buel
    buel Posts: 674 Forumite
    HappyMJ, i did specify gross.

Does it matter? Well if you dont want to help, just dont post. Simple.

Does it 'matter'? Well in the grand scheme of things, no. But it's something id like help with so that's why i posted the question.

Thank you to those who have helped.
    Not yet a total moneysaving expert...but im trying!!
  • HappyMJ
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    buel wrote: »
    HappyMJ, i did specify gross.

Does it matter? Well if you dont want to help, just dont post. Simple.

Does it 'matter'? Well in the grand scheme of things, no. But it's something id like help with so that's why i posted the question.

Thank you to those who have helped.
    If it matters that much then I would say your hourly rate is less than the one you have figured out.

£1,675 multiplied by 12 then divide by 365 days then multiply by 7 days then divide by 40. £9.63699 per hour. Or £9.64 per hour rounded to nearest penny and in a leap year such as next year it will work out at £9.61 per hour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure