PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Joints of beef in the slow cooker

Comments

• black-saturn
    black-saturn Posts: 13,937
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think basically as long as you have an onion any meat will taste nice done in a slow cooker.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • I've got a 1.6 kg piece of beef that I want to cook in my slow cooker. Anyone know how long to cook it for, and how much water to put in.

I have tried it before, but the beef just crumbled, and I couldn't cut it.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I wrapped mine in kitchen foil, put about 1 1/2 pints of stock in (but my slow cooker is big) but some herbs, mushrooms and onion. Took about 3 hours I think, that was a piece just over 2kg. I just kept checking with my meat thermometer. Left it a good 20 minutes to rest so I could carve it.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • I cook mine with no stock at all.

It doesnt shrink at all - which is great.

If you take it out and leave it for 10-20 mins to rest it will be easier to carve.
  • Dumyat
    Dumyat Posts: 2,143
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I did a joint yesterday and it was lovely. would say probably cooked it too long - even with resting it for 20 minutes, it was so tender the slices fell apart. it tasted fab though. truly melt in the mouth. I cooked it on slow for 5 hours. I always put a splash of water in the bottom and throw the veggies round about the joint.

I am finding this slow cooker needs much less time than my old one. still experimenting. dont usually do such an expensive cut of meat so will reduce time much more next time.
    x x x
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,117
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Sorry, another slow cooker question. I cooked my beef joint in the slow cooker yesterday, but it was impossible to cut - it just shredded as it was so tender.

The taste was gorgeous, but it didn't look very good - did I cook it for too long :confused: I put a bit of water in the bottom and cooked it for about 7 hours on low
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • yes i find 5 to 5 1/2 hours is better. did you try cutting it staight away? because it's better to leave it for twenty mins uncovered before.
    Winnings: John Deere Model Tractor:j
    Losses: 2st
  • Daisydoll
    Daisydoll Posts: 544 Forumite
    Have just got myself a slow cooker and am going to cook my joint of beef in it tommorow, have searched some other threads but just wanted ask how much water to put in? Feeling a bit thick now:o
    DFW no.630!
  • inkie
    inkie Posts: 2,609
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I don't put any water at all in - just pop the joint in, switch on and a few hours later voila - meat that is really tender and falling off the bone
  • dad rolls the joint around in a frying pan to seal it then throws a few veg in the slow cooker (whatever youve got, we usually put carrots, celery and onion) followed by the beef. He then rinses the frying pan with water and pours this in as well. Tastes delicous!!!

He puts it on in the morning before we go to work and its ready when we get home (7.30-6.30) but dad says its cooked long before that! (but saves us cooking when we get in! :))
    finally debt free and want to keep it that way!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure