Tesco Mobile SIM in O2 Phone?

garybryan
garybryan Posts: 20 Forumite
Does anyone know for definite if a Tesco Mobile SIM can be used in an O2 phone, without unlocking?

I know it definitely used to work, and a Google search brings up threads like this:
/showthread.php?t=609973
which suggest that it does work, but I went to the O2 shop today and the woman told me that it definitely doesn't and I should buy the phone directly from Tesco instead. Unfortunately, Tesco don't stock the model I'm after (Nokia C1-01).

As I say, this always used to work, has it been changed recently?

Comments

• Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It should work fine, that thread has it backwards... Tesco phones don't always except O2 SIMs, but Tesco SIMs will be fine in an O2 phone.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 10 March 2011 at 3:44PM
    It has to work.
    And never ever trust a word that a salesperson says persuading you to buy something. Very often they either are incompetent or lie or both.
  • garybryan
    edited 10 March 2011 at 3:42PM
    grumbler wrote: »
    It has to work.
    And never ever trust a word that salesperson say persuading you to buy something. Very often they either are incompetent or lie or both.

The thing is, I was actually ready to buy the phone, then the salesperson told me that I shouldn't buy it from them, and should buy it elsewhere, so basically she persuaded me not to buy it. This made me take more stock in her advice. I'd expect them to lie to make me buy something, but surely not to put me off buying something. So she must be either clueless or correct.

EDIT: OR she wants to put people off buying a phone for use on another network, as I wouldn't be paying O2 any top-up money after the purchase...
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If it doesn't work, just about any mobile phone market can unlock it for about a tenner. However it should work.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • garybryan
    Cool, I reckon I'll go for it, I can order it online from the O2 shop with free next day delivery so may as well save myself a trip to the shop and having to deal with the salespeople, and I'll report back tomorrow just so there can be a recent written record of whether it works.
  • garybryan
    I received the phone, and it works perfectly as expected :)
  • adamc260
    adamc260 Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Tesco share the o2 network so should be fine? One way to find out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure