Voucher for help with cat/dog vaccinations

Comments

• Thanks for the post about vets4pets. My dog was due his booster in January, so he's not that much over, so couldn't of used the original voucher. But OH is recently unemployed, so wondered when and how we'd afford his booster jab. £10 is great and a vets4pets is within a good distance.

Thank you sooo much for posting, it has (well will) help us out a lot :T :j
    Mummy to two girls: October 2013 and February 2016
  • http://www.vaccinationmonth.co.uk/

The voucher will be available to print out in May 2009
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    snowman2 wrote: »
    Some facts about the scheme from someone who's has 2 surgery's running it:
    • You pay for a booster price and the 2nd vaccine 2 - 3 weeks later is free. You should get a health check included in the price
    • It shouldn't cost more than £50 according to Intervet - we don't charge anywhere near that amount so I don't know if that is a hard and fast rule.

So this is not free? You have to pay for the booster?
  • UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    So this is not free? You have to pay for the booster?

Snowman said the second part of the course is free, the whole lot won't be free no
  • When i go the website it tells me i cant download a voucher until June. I also can't find the list of particpating vets. Please help as i just lost my job and to oget my 2 cats done is gonna set me back £94.......of which i have none!!
  • humpy999 wrote: »
    >>I dont have my pets done every year as i have seen so much research that it is unnecessary as the protection does not run out for a good few years, and can also cause more problems by over-vaccinating.

>>I have not had her vaccinated since 2001 until today and then that will probably last her another 6-7 more years.

Sorry, this just isn't true for Feline Leukaemia and it's not true either for Canine Leptospirosis. These components need boosting every year.

Futhermore there is no treatment for either of these diseases, by the time a diagnosis is made it is often too late so rushing your pet to the vet won't help. I frequently hear of dogs dying from suspected cases of Lepto although cat deaths related to FeLV seem to be less frequent I am not aware of current figures. It used to be quoted as the second biggest killer of cats.

I don't wish to put the cat amongst the pigeons and become Mrs Unpopular, but I find this whole article rather worrying.

As humpy said in her post (quoted) a responsible owner should be getting their cat vaccinated annually for it to be continually effective. I care for my cat like I would a human. They're semi-wild and come into contact with all sorts of less cared for and feral cats, so require protection against diseases. When you take on a cat you're taking on a life, so please don't treat it like a play thing and when the costs mount up abandon it or get it put to sleep. Treat it like you would a child, and if you can't afford to do that get a fish or small caged animal.

I'd rather this money was spent on neutering or educating owners than people using it for overdue vaccinations.

These are my views and some people may not agree, but this is a forum for opinions and I'm an animal lover.

x
  • sammy10
    sammy10 Posts: 177 Forumite
    We have had a letter from intervet at our practice to say that this is now going to be running in June instead of March due to the shortage of Lepto vaccs
  • clipboard2
    clipboard2 Posts: 250 Forumite
    divadee wrote: »
    I have just had mine done!!!! my registered vet was doing this promotion anyway. The first lot of jabs cost me £47 as i went for everything + feline lukemia, and then the next lot in 3 weeks is free.

I dont have my pets done every year as i have seen so much research that it is unnecessary as the protection does not run out for a good few years, and can also cause more problems by over-vaccinating.

My vet has never had a problem with this, and he treats my cat no differently.

I have not had her vaccinated since 2001 until today and then that will probably last her another 6-7 more years.

If she has ever been unwell she is taken straight to the vet, and treated immediately so we are responsible pet owners!!!

Each owner has to make there own decision but i personally feel over-vaccination can cause problems.

Thanks for this divadee. I am very interested in the research you mention. Any chance you could post some links soon?

I've long suspected I'm being fleeced with this 'requirement' for annual vaccinations business; its well known that veterinary practices have among the highest profit margins of any business.

Anything to do with the health of your child or your pet and people are happy to fork out the money on the say so of a (vested interest) expert without considering the independent scientific evidence. ....vaccinate every year and you can feel you are a responsible owner is the implicit message.

Meanwhile, my cat was vacinated last April, and I'll now wait until I qualify for a discount www.vaccinationmonth.co.uk thanks to posters for this link. CB2
  • celticchick
    celticchick Posts: 5 Forumite
    looks like this is being repeated for June 2009 though not live yet - but looks as if link will take you to right page.
  • zoe260373
    zoe260373 Posts: 868 Forumite
    Hi there all,
    had a quick peek and the voucher scheme is up and running again now ready for appointments during June,dont wish to get involved in the 'vaccinate or not vaccinate annually debate' but just wanted people to know that the vouchers are available should you wish to use them,
    hope this is of some use to someone,
    xx
    family is me,oh,16yDS,10DD,9DS&17month old DS,2dogs,3cats,4bunnies,5 ex battery hens&5fish.GC challenge-/£300:pspends already this month-animal food-£28,mr T shop-£119.plus local shop spends total spent £257,:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure