Dental Insurance Disscusion

Comments

• up here in darkest st andrews i am sc--wed for 46.12 a month for myself and "her who must be obeyed "to have check ups and fillings ! with anything like crowns not covered. but only were offered this one policy from practice and am worried if i cancel we will lose dentist . They are like hens teeth up here ! some old bloke
  • I had terrible toothache and signed on the dotted line for isoplan without thinking.
    I think I could get more with insurance can I get out of it?
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    For that sort of thing normally it's 21 days notice to stop. I would keep it going until you get set up with your alternative though - you never know!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • norbie
    norbie Posts: 137 Forumite
    Hi,

I have been to the dentist today and he says that I need 4 fillings as I have weak teeth :(

I have made 4 appointments that spread out across June and July. The total cost will be £380. :eek:

I am looking into dental insurance - I really can't afford to pay that much money for the work to be done, but obviously it must happen.

I have looked at the various dental insurances but am a bit confused as only the expensive ones give you money back for work like fillings, and a lot of them will not let you claim for pre-booked treatment. After these fillings I won't need much else done so I don't want to get stuck into a long-term contract if possible.

After some advice here, many thanks.
  • Chopper98
    Chopper98 Posts: 7,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,
    I too have just been to the dentists after arriving home from spending a year in Canada. I have been told I need 2 fillings and a Crown, for this and an x-ray I have been quoted 741 quid!! Is this a reasonable private treatment charge for this work?? I have to pay 42 quid for each appointment just to get through the door which gets up my nose.

I honestly don't know what to do for the best, I understand most insurance companies won't touch you if you have treatment planned.

I stay clear of sweets almost religiously since I was a kid but my girlfriend bought me a toffee, I ate it as I didn't want to seem rude and wouldn't you know it, it pulled my root filling. So 430 quid for a crown due to one toffee.....Add to that that my other filling is apparently due to the fact that i've been brushing too vigorously (ironic considering I was always told I don't brush enough) and i'm a little frustrated.

Never again will anything remotely toffee like pass my lips!!!

Anyone got any advice on how I could possibly claim any of this money back? Thankfully I start a new job on tuesday otherwise I would be utterly screwed.

Thanks all
    'Throw off the bowlines.
    Sail away from the safe harbour.
    Catch the trade winds in your sails.
    Explore. Dream. Discover.'
  • I need a crown replacing and some white fillings needed.

I'm a 35yr old male with no children.
    Which is the best plan or policy for me to go for or should I go overseas for cosmetic work as i cant get on the NHS where i live.

I dont mind waiting a few months if there is a plan that accepts crowns and white fillings.

Can someone please help me out here..

Thanks,
    Ronnie.
  • Niemand
    Niemand Posts: 117 Forumite
    I have a question.

I went to the dentist today. It wasn't my usual dentist, but it was in the same practice. He seemed very irritated, not with me, but with the Government! Usually when I walk in it's a case of "Please take a seat" and he'll ask me questions. Today, he started talking about costs. Asked me if I was NHS, if I was receiving benefit, and to tell him what the problem was. I explained I had a painful tooth last week which had all but gone only because I wasn't really eating on that side of the mouth. He then said, "Well, I can have a look but it will be £44.60 minimum, do you want to think about it?" I said I needed it to be looked at (I knew a check-up was £16.20 and I believe he was telling me that work would cost £44.60).

Anyway, he had a quick look, told me I had a cracked filling and that it needed a crown. Cost: £198.00. He explained 80% of the tooth was filling and a repair wouldn't last long.

Two questions.

1. He looked only at the offending tooth, for my £16.20 should I have had a proper check up? I believe I should. Apparently, the £16.20 is deducted from the £198.00. If I go ahead, should I insist on a check up?

2. Is there anything I can do to lessen the cost of the crown?

I notice that Martin's Dental Insurance page has the wrong figures for the charge bands. I've e-mailed Martin about this. The charges today are:

Band 1: £16.20 - check up, scale and polish, X-rays, advice, prescription
    Band 2: £44.60 - Fillings, root canal treatment, extractions, denture additions, (this also includes all Band 1 items)
    Band 3: £198.00 - crowns, bridges, inlays, dentures, (this also includes all Band 1 and Band 2 items)
    Niemand
  • Toothsmith
    You should have a proper check up before any work, especially if you've not had one for a while.

A tooth really should be x-rayed before something major like a crown as well - especially if it's so broken down, in order to check there are no hidden problems.

If it's been a while since you've been, then a clean up could also be included in the £198 fee.

If he does do a check up, and finds anything else wrong, then this should also be repaired in with that £198 fee.

Probably that's why he doesn't want to look!
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
  • Niemand
    Niemand Posts: 117 Forumite
    Thanks for that.

Would it make any difference that I was booked in as an "emergency"?

I phoned last Wednesday because my tooth was aching and I wanted an appointment as soon as possible. They gave me today's appointment. They classed it as an emergency because they fitted me in to a five-minute slot. I have a feeling that if I mention the lack of a check up he'll say he didn't have time and saw me because I had complained of toothache. Do you think he'd be justified in doing that?
    Niemand
  • Toothsmith
    Niemand wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Would it make any difference that I was booked in as an "emergency"?

I phoned last Wednesday because my tooth was aching and I wanted an appointment as soon as possible. They gave me today's appointment. They classed it as an emergency because they fitted me in to a five-minute slot. I have a feeling that if I mention the lack of a check up he'll say he didn't have time and saw me because I had complained of toothache. Do you think he'd be justified in doing that?

Completely. He can only do what he has time for, and if you have a problem, obviously sorting that out is the priority.

If it was an emergency appontment, then he'd also be justified in charging £16.20 for the emergency appointment, and then starting the clock again when you go back for the check up. The max you should pay for that second phase of treatment though is £198, and as well as the crown, that should include any fillings, x-rays, and a clean up at the end.
    How to find a dentist.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure