Fridge/Freezer Repair advice

Comments

• Hi we have a hotpoint f/f and have discovered a small tear in the inside of the freezer about half an inch- the temp is fine- can anyone tell me if this will affect the freezer in anyway. The damage was caused by the freezer draw, a piece had broken off and pierced the side- I do not want to replace the draws if the freezer is useless- thanks
  • ttlo
    ttlo Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hello Everyone.
    I have also been reading this thread carefully to see if anyone has been having problems with horrible odours from their fridge freezers !

This is something i had never experienced in my life before and hence tried deepcleaning my entire kitchen before i finally concluded it was my fridge ( and specifically the back of my fridge ) that was letting out an absolutely vile smell.

I have read people are having trouble with noisy compressors.. and im guessing that might be the next problem i will face..

Has anyone here actually called over an engineer to look at their fridge freezer for noisy parts or vile smells ? how much does it cost to replace a compressor ?

Appreciate any tips and BTW i have a BEKO CDA 565FW and it is not even one year old..so disappointed and cannot even enter my kitchen !

Thanks
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    Hi,

Smells from fridges etc. can only really be caused by something in them or, something spilled on/in them. I wrote an article on the subject here that might help explain a bit further.

To replace a compressor although, that will not in any way, shape or form cause an odour, will cost the thick end of £200 on that machine I'd expect.

HTH

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • NettyB
    NettyB Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi there,

I don't know if anyone can help me but here goes anyway.

Our Hoptpoint fridge isn't running cold enough even though it's on a boost and at it coldest setting. It hasn't been open or moved or anything. Does anyone have any idea what it might be, if it's something that someone might be able to fix if we get someone out?

Thanks
    Annette
  • kwatt
    kwatt Posts: 711 Forumite
    Hi Annette,

You'd need to offer up a lot more information on the fridge freezer, like the model number to start with for any help. But, in the interim, I've written several guides that may help that you can access here. Reading through those may well help you to understand the problem if not solve it.

HTH

K.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. Its what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
  • Problem: Frost and ice form in my KitchenAid side by side freezer and my fridge is not cold enough 2 days after completely defrosting the freezer coils. Initially both the refrigerator and freezer get cold after I manually defrost the coils/fins (condenser?) in the freezer compartment. The blower fan above the coils/fins in the freezer is clean and works quietly. It seems that the blower is always running. After a day or two the refrigerator has little cool air blowing into it from the freezer duct. I removed the control door/flap in the air duct from the freezer to the refrigerator to make sure that there was no obstruction of cold air from the freezer to the refrigerator. The return air vent from the bottom of the refrigerator compartment to the freezer is open and unobstructed. The under side and back of the refrigerator/freezer are clean and with obstructions. The drain from the freezer below the coils/fins is unobstructed to the collection pan below the unit.
    Are these possible diagnosis/Solutions?:
    1. defrost timer-it may be defective. (How do I Check/test it?)
    2. defrost heater-if defective, replace it. (How do I Check/test it?)
    3. defrost thermostat-if defective, replace it. (How do I Check/test it?)
    Help!
  • Tried to find a solution to my Fridge Freezer problem.

Its a integrated (built in) unit which I have removed to see if anything obvious. Make PABL ... Model RFF 50/50 ... just over 2 years old.

Compressor working, but a little noisy ... don't think it's the thermostat as both fridge and freezer not working ... so I think it's the compressor/heat exchanger.

Some of the pipes behind are getting hot but none are cold.

If the was a leak of the gas, how could you tell? My guess that it's not economic to repair.

Tried to call the service number but out of use. Have PABL gone out of business?

Pete
  • My integrated fridge-freezer has recently stopped getting cold.

I suspect it may be the thermostat as it doesn't seem to be switching on/off as the control knob is turned so I'd like to try replacing it myself before paying a repair technician.

Looking on various spare suppliers' websites a genuine part seems to be upwards of £70 eg http://www.yourspares.co.uk/parts/gda/fridges-and-freezers/bm20/parts/ys10394/thermostat-C00215230.aspx

On the other hand, I see similar items for under £10 eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270789993655

Is it worth trying the cheap one? Is replacement simply a matter of pulling the capillary tube out and pushing the new one in?
  • wen-tom
    wen-tom Posts: 412 Forumite
    Hi, I'm wondering how, or if it's possible to find out what caused a compressor to fail?
    I have recently had one replaced chargeable as samsung said it wasn't covered by their warranty. my worry is that the engineer didn't even look at it when he came to inspect it. just turned the FF on and heard a whirring/squeaking noise and said straight away its the compressor. The problem was it was not freezing or cooling (the norm for samsung!)

It was replaced and the old one was left here. not sure why!

My question is, is there any way to find out why it failed? the FF is only 2.5 years old.
  • i have a hotpoint ff ariston ff200ex the freezer works fine but the fridge as stoped getting cold any ideas wots up would be appreciated thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure