Basic Bank account needed without credit checks

2»

Comments

• Natwest Step account - you can apply on-line which was sooo much easier than when my mother opened hers in-branch. Mine was sorted within a week or so, she had to make 2 appointments and take loads of ID with her which took best part of a month!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts:dance:
    Lightbulb moment 16th November 2006: Debts totalling £28,584.49:eek:
    Mutual Supporters Club Member! (Nov 2006) :grouphug:
    DFW Nerd 252 :cool:
  • The only checks they do are to check you are who you say you are, money laundering and fraud, that sort of thing.

Don't be put off!! LOADS of us have got these type of accounts no problem with HURRENDOUS credit ratings!!!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    :beer:
    Official DFW nerd no.190 :p
  • PaulW922
    PaulW922 Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Just to clarify - no bank *has* to offer a basic account - they have just agreed to because of pressure from the Treasury. Additionally some branches are difficult about basic accounts and will treat an application for one like an application for any other account. Some NatWest branches are notorious for this.

Some banks will not offer a basic account if your credit is diabolical but others will. I think that those where the decision is not taken in branch are probably best. Also - consider Nationwide building society who offer a cash card version of the Flexaccount.

Some banks such as Barclays (what a surprise!) don't allow standing orders (just DDs) and others such as Lloyds only allow use of their own ATMs and not the Link network. A clear indication in my view that they are only paying lio-service to the principal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure