Central Trains £5 tickets (over 50s only)

maple41
maple41 Posts: 153 Forumite
Starting next week, 15th June until September, Central Trains have brought back the £5 and £10 return tickets between Birmingham, Peterborough, Norwich, Leicester and other places on their network. Sorry - for the over 50s only! Print off the voucher from their website and present it at the ticket office when buying your ticket. Used it myself last summer and it gives fantastic savings as you can use it as often as you like.

Speech-Mark-Left.gif

Official Insert:

If you're over 50 let the train take the strain from just £5 return. Travel can be from Birmingham, Cambridge, Leicester, Lincoln, Liverpool, Manchester, Norwich, Nottingham, Peterborough and Sheffield to various other destinations on the Central Trains network. The offer's valid until 7 September and the vouchers you print are valid for up to two people.

Speech-Mark-Right.gif

threadbanner.gif

Comments

• Thanks for this tip.The voucher could save me money on an upcoming trip to Norwich.
    Could you please post a link to the relevant Central Lines web page?
    I've just visited their site and cannot find the aforementioned voucher.
  • trevored
    trevored Posts: 52 Forumite
    Here's the link http://www.centraltrains.co.uk/ then click on the 'over 50?' banner. When you select your destination the voucher will appear.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Thank you Maple, ideal for me , get off at Manchester to catch one for the Lake District. Should save me about £25.
  • crossleydd42
    crossleydd42 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    It's really annoying that only selected places are involved. do they think that OAP's in Gloucester are richer than those in Cambridge or Norwich, for example? Still. good luck to those who CAN use this offer!
    "Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • blowstar
    blowstar Posts: 27 Forumite
    The £5 offer applies only to very short journeys, most others are £10 which is still a bargain, but as CrossleyDD42 points out, the routes chosen are highly selective. However, nice to see their threshold for geriatricity starts at 50. I was thinking I'd have to wait till 65 for the best bargains ;-)
  • It's really annoying that only selected places are involved. do they think that OAP's in Gloucester are richer than those in Cambridge or Norwich, for example? Still. good luck to those who CAN use this offer!

It's intresting as it looks like you can use it travelling from Birmingham to Gloucester and return... but not... Gloucester to Birmingham and return??
    sorry no links in signatures by site rules - Forum Team 2
  • flossy_splodge
    flossy_splodge Posts: 2,526
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Is there any reason why, given that a return ticket is two separate tickets, that you can't use the second half first, if you see what I mean?:j :rotfl:
  • ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,555
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    expanded thanks to Maple41 and to Trevored - have just clicked and printed sheets for Cambridge/Norwich departures and the route map. It's surely possible to enalrge journeys by, for instance - doing Cambridge to Sheffield, then Sheffield to Cardiff, which only appears from this station...that's if you are happy to meander, without strings or others, which I am. Happy possibilities for serendipitous travel. Thankyou again for this one.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• ampersand
    ampersand Posts: 9,555
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hello flossy_splodge,
    Just noticed no. 8 of T's & C's; it rules out your idea......or does it?

Terms and Conditions
    1. The £5/£10 voucher can be exchanged for up to two travel tickets, each at the offer price. The offer is valid for people aged 50 and over, proof of age may be required.
    2. Offer valid on the journeys shown between 15 June 2006 and 7 September 2006.
    3. The Day Return £5/£10 flat fare offer ticket is valid for outward travel after 9am Monday to Friday and any time at weekends with return travel on the same day. Outward and return travel must be completed by midnight on 7 September 2006.
    4. The Period Return £5/£10 flat fare offer ticket is valid for outward travel after 9am Monday to Friday and any time at weekends with return travel within one calendar month. Outward travel can be taken up until midnight on 7 September 2006 with return travel within one calendar month.
    5. Railcard discounts are not available with this offer.
    6. National Rail Conditions of Carriage and refund rules apply.
    7. Photocopies will be accepted.
    8. This offer is not available in the reverse direction.
    9. The £5/£10 flat fare offer tickets are valid for travel on all operators services on the permitted routes – certain route restrictions apply, please check at time of purchase.
    10. Offer is only available on-train when customers board at unstaffed stations.
    11. Seat reservations are available on selected journeys on Central Trains services only, check at time of booking. They must be booked by 6pm on the day before departure
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT &BUDGET HELP:
    01274 760721, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    Does the "Over 50" restriction apply to how old you at the start of the journey or at the end? ;)
    Can I help?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport