JSA - Got a Job but dont get paid for a month

Hi,

can i continue to carry on receiving JSA for any amount of time. I have got a job with an annual salary but i wont get paid until the end October. Will i be able to recieve any more JSA payments until i get my first pay packet?

Thanks,
thepeople

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    How long have you been on JSA?
    Gone ... or have I?
  • been on about 8 weeks
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    No, you are not entitled to any form of follow on payment. You just need to budget for the month until you get paid.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • You will need to sign off as soon as you start work. Your JSA will be paid up to the day before your employment starts. Get the ES40 booklet back to the JC asap.

In some circumstances, you may be entitled to a Jobgrant and Housing Benefit / Mortgage and Council Tax run on as well. Make sure you tick the box on the sign off form if the Job is going to last more than 5 weeks. ...

EDIT - as DMG says - you can't get this as you were not on JSA long enough to qualify........., Your reply was not here when I posted, but I have left this info here for others to read.

If the final JSA payment is only a few days, obviously that won't last a month. Crisis Loans may help but they will expect you to have used other sources of income (savings, overdrat, advance of wages etc etc) first.

Well done for getting the Job :)
  • thanks very much for the replies. Im just wondering hat the importanceof ticking the box that says "do you expect your job to last more than 5 weeks?" i read this somewhere:

"but if you agree to stay off benefits for 5 wks you will also be due a £100 bonus for signing off. "

is this ture?

Thanks again
  • If you have been receiving a qualifying benefit (Income Support, JSA or Incap) for 26 weeks or more without a break when you sign off into work, and that employment is expected to last 5 weeks or more, a job grant is paid.

If you were receiving HB / CT benefit or Mortgage payments, they are also paid for 4 weeks following your sign off.

As DMG states, you won't qualify................. as you were only on JSA for 8 weeks.
  • I found this very helpful thank you...

After trawling through many threads I think that I will be entitled to a job grant and working tax credit, I have not signed off yet and I am not sure what my next course of action should be... (Help needed)

I have been claiming Jsa and housing benefit for over 6 months. I have Just got myself a full time job (go me :D) which starts on wednesday, (the same day I am due to sign on) I will be working around 30 hours a week on a pretty tightfisted £6 per hour.

So, all you clued up and very cool people... :D

Am i right in assuming I am entitled to job grant and working tax credit, how much am I likely to receive, and what should I do now?

Thank you, from a money saving noob. :)
  • kurjam
    kurjam Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    what is a follow on payment ??
    i am on incapacity benefit been on it 5 years and i am starting work on monday next week....
    i realize i may get a job grant and extra housing benefit payments (do housing benefit automatically know i can still receive them for 4 weeks)
    but does my benefit stop the same day i start work or can i get extra till i get paid at the end of october ??
    thanks for any help in advance
  • We have just faced the same sort of situation. My partner started a new job after being on SDA for a fair few years. We rang IS and SDA a couple of weeks after his job started.

About a week and a half after he started our payment went into the bank as usual, so when we phoned, we asked them to stop any other payments coming through, that extra bit helped us through the rest of this month, though we will have to pay it back.

We were told we were entitled to 4 weeks run on with housing and council tax benefit, but I had to phone the council to let them know. The council have also requested that we fill out another claim form now for HB, and also send a letter stating that Income support told us we were to get the run on! Not sure why?!?

Luckily we managed to borrow a couple of hundred pounds from my father till we get payed, as I'm not sure how we wuld have fed ourselves and payed our household bills otherwise. If we'd have known That he would get a job so easily and quickly beforehand we could have saved enough to get us through the month. I spose thats the advice i'd give, make sure before you return to work, you have at least a months worth of money budgeted to see you through, even though thats hard when living on benefits.

Sorry, short answer would be, yes as soon as you start work, you don't appear to be entitled to anything but perhaps a HB run on of 4 weeks, and also the job grant, (though our's has yet to appear in the bank, maybe they are taking it off the extra fortnights money we owe them!)

Mupps :)
  • kurjam
    kurjam Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    hi all, i phoned the job centre and i ma going in tomorrow, because we are in an area that are doing pathways to work ( a scheme for getting people into work) i am entitled to a job grant which is a one of payment of £250 (as i have children otherwise it would be £100) and also a back to work credit of £40 a week for 52 weeks !!!
    i also can get extended coucil tax benefit for 4 weeks !!!

so hooray im back at work !!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport