how long does second class mail usually take?

Hiya
does anyone know how long a second class parcel should take to arrive? I ordered some stuff from ebay, and it says on the item details that the goods were sent on 17th april second class?

linzi
Cabbage: A familiar kitchen/garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head. - Ambrose Bierce
<8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8>
Started comping again Oct 2007
Wins so far :-
:j Cast iron book stand for kitchen (local radio comp) :j
:j Official review 0f 2007 TT Races book :j
:j 4 tickets to crealy devon :j

Comments

• Hey
    Should have really been with you now? The royal mail site says this

"Overview Millions of people use Second Class mail every day to send Letters, Packets and other small items. It costs just 24p for Letters and small items weighing up to 100g. We aim to deliver your mail by the third working day after posting.Key features Easy to use and affordable, from just 24p."

If it was 2nd class recorded get the tracking number - otherwise get the seller to fill in a claim for compensation which is covered for up to 10x cost of the stamp so £24.00.

Hope that helps
    ;)There is no wealth but life. Life, including all its powers of love, of joy, and of admiration (John Ruskin);)
  • 1-3 days. I've had loads of things i've sent arrive next day. Don't know if posting first thing in the morning makes a difference. I suppose it gets on it's way a little quicker so maybe it does.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,192 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The seller can't start a claim for loss until 15 working days (3 weeks normally) have elapsed as despite what RM say about second class mail, they do not consider it lost until then.

However, after 7 days from payment the buyer can start a paypal chargeback, although I would certainly only go down that route after getting well into the second week and only then if the seller doesn't offer a refund as a matter of course.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • linzi1978
    linzi1978 Posts: 106 Forumite
    do you think I should email seller first asking if I should gave received it then?
    the seller has really good feedback with most saying that delivery was super fast!
    Cabbage: A familiar kitchen/garden vegetable about as large and wise as a man's head. - Ambrose Bierce
    <8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8>
  • you should definitely contact the seller, it eradicates confusion, otherwise you'll just sit there coming up with theories pumped into your head by everyone here at MSE!!

by the way, the maximum compensation is £34 and not £24 as someone remarked earlier.
  • linzi1978
    linzi1978 Posts: 106 Forumite
    thank you everyone, will email the seller now.

xx
    <8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8>
  • susy_2
    susy_2 Posts: 467 Forumite
    You should have had it by now. However, I ordered what was for me an expensive item from ebay. He mailed me to say he had sent it 1st class Recorded Delivery, but it didn't arrive when it should have. I ordered from a very new seller with a feedback of 3 or 4 and it was also a more expensive item than he had previously sold. My heart was in my mouth but patience payed off when it arrived approx 1 week later.
  • Have you contacted your local sorting office in case the postman tried a delivery and you were out? They don't always leave a card.

FFM :)
    AMAZON SELLERS CLUB member 0077 come and join us :hello: make some space and get hold of some cash, we're on the ebay and other auctions, car boot and jumble sales board.
  • Don't give upon it yet - I've had mail delayed by a week or so before. Though 2nd class usually takes 1-3 days, it can occasionally be considerably longer. I've had first class mail take over a week and second class arrive next day (even when posted late afternoon).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure