Multifuel or Wood burning stove

Comments

• Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Yes

My multi stove takes coal and wood. Wood can be logs or pieces of wood, but bare in mind small pieces of wood like wood from pallets burns very quickly and can give off alot of heat
  • waj1234
    waj1234 Posts: 63 Forumite
    It's best to use coke or similar rather than coal though as its too dirty really coal. That is what I was told by the installer of my stove anyhow.
  • I love my little woodburner. Best thing I did in this house ....
    It is a Morso O2 ...the smallest one they do but powerful enough to heat our living room to a good toasty level. Couldn't wait to see the back of the old gas fire ... was about as ugly as Andrew Lloyd Webber.
    We burn a mixture of wood and coal (furnacite briquettes) and it works really well. The beaty of the wood burner compared with an open fire is that you can turn the air flow right down so it just gently glows althogh still kicking out loads of heat.
    We bought from Dinghams in Winchester and they were excellent. Thet did a smoke test in the chimney and then told us we would not need the £800 or so we had budgeted for the liner !
    I'm sure that we have used our gas central heating a lot less since having the wood burner.

Go and buy one !!!
  • Anti virus doesn't like that site. What is your involvement and can you fix it?
  • w50nky
    w50nky Posts: 418 Forumite
    Hi everyone… I just wanted to share this site with you which I came across. It is recommended by FASA and HETAS approved stove retailers and enables you to create a wishlist of stoves and get info and price information from a range of local stove retailers. I’ve just bought a Jotul wood burning stove through this site. They are incredibly helpful and help you shop around for the best price. I would urge you to use them f you are consiering buying a multi fuel or wood stove and they give great advice on some of the ‘rougue’ online sellers of stoves. Go and check it out.

BEST AVOID THIS SITE AS VIRUS CHECKER GOES MAD!!!!!!!

Dont know if its legit or not but be very carefull.
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you! :dance:
  • We installed a morso squirrel, great little multi fuel stove. We bought the stove, liner and all the other bits and bobs from firesonline.co.uk. I chose multi fuel so we can have 2 or 3 lumps of coal burning away in the bottom to quickly ignite new logs. Check out homefire ovals these burn really well.
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    I'm in the process of having my inglenook renovated & its been cleared out, hacked, sandblasted & old floor removed, hardcore down & a new concrete floor. Today I bought the slate tiles (unfortunately not Welsh slate, too expensive!) & they'll be fitted hopefully at the start of next week. Fire board is also up so just the stove (Charnwood Country 8 multifuel) to be installed. I chose a local chap who's HETAS registered & they do the lot for me. My job will cost about £3500 all in all.
  • Jennip37
    Jennip37 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi, we have just had a firefox 8 installed in our conservatory with a flue system as there is no chimney (£1700 inc. stove). Our conservatory is usually 4*C above the outside temp and our installer assures us this stove is going to be roasting! We took advice from a fire place showroom first and then looked elsewhere for a better installation price (saved £2k!!) We are planning on burning coal at least overnight so that the stove is always on because our conservatory is open plan to the kitchen and is used as a playroom.

We have an open fire in the lounge but to be honest I agree with the comment about most of the heat going up the chimney. I usually have both rads. in the room on at the same time.

Back to the firefox 8. My installer has installed loads and although they are cheap he says there is nothing wrong with them infact when he and his buddy were moving it into place he commented on how heavy it was compared to larger more expensive models. That's not to say heavier is better but I'll keep you posted. Had to look out my slippers tonight so won't be long til the stove is fired up!!!!
  • Hi all,

I'n thinking of installing a wood buriung stove or multi fuel burner to replace my open fire. I was wondering if anyone has replaced their open fire with a wood / multi fuel burner stove and were able to incorporate their open fire backboiler with the stove?

If so was it difficult / expensive and by how much?
  • Hi there,

You'll not be bale to incorporate the back boiler from the open fire with a stove installation. You'd need to buy a dedicated boiler stove.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure