I wanna David Lloyd discount!

Hello folks!

First post here. I'm hunting for a discount on the monthly membership fee of my local David Lloyd Health & Fitness Club. I already have the joining fee waived, but would like to try and get a discount on the ongoing cost.

Anyone have any vouchers or ideas?!

Thanks!
Dean

Comments

• Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    How did you manage to get the joining fee waived? They would only come down to £35 for us - a family of 4. Think it is disgusting that they are going to get £155 per month membership fee and they still charge a joining fee.
  • The joining fee was waived as a corporate discount. I just happened to work for the right company, I guess.

I agree a joining fee is outrageous - I'd refuse to join unless it was completely waived - they'd be foolish to lose out on 1,800 a year for the sake of £35.
  • SmileBeHappy
    SmileBeHappy Posts: 9,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i work there so i get two free memberships. just to let you all know, the joining fee is more a price for the administration of processing your membership, your card, to pay the sales team for sorting it out etc. We do have various weekends where theres no joining fee, but yer, u can wangle a better price out of them, their normally willing to accept it.

Laura

By the way £35 a mnth for a family of 4!! thats an amazing price, i wouldn't complain about the joining fee, i have never heard anyone get it so cheap
  • Alison_B
    No, you misunderstood me. The joining fee is £35, they want £153 a month (2 x adults @ £50 each, 2 x children @ £19.50 each and £14 for family for racquets).

laura_marshall89 - I have sent you a PM.
  • go4it
    go4it Posts: 313 Forumite
    just to let you all know, the joining fee is more a price for the administration of processing your membership, your card, to pay the sales team for sorting it out etc.

rubbish!! So the joining fee goes to the sales team for 'sorting it out' - so basically their commission. When there is a monthly fee there is no need for a joining fee, the monthly fees pay for staff, admin etc. It does not take £35 of admin to process a booking.

basically, the joining fee is a way of ensuring that you get money out of each customer lead, just in case they join then decide to quit. These gyms originally came about as a 'private health club' style for those who wanted to work out in a quiet, laid back atmosphere. Firms have now come along and sprung up these glorified leisure centres everywhere, trying to charge £40-60 memberships. I understand £50 a month for a private health club style club, but not some of these glorified leisure centres. get yourself down to your local member led sports club or leisure centre, where you will be charged a lot less.
  • lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    We (well hubby and 1 child) got the joining fee waived too (he works for a company that is on their list I guess). The cost per month is £73 for him and my daughter. I just go along for moral support, but have a social pass, so am able to use the restuarant etc. The social pass cost nothing.
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • Alison_B
    They did want to charge us £135 joining fee originally.:eek:
  • SmileBeHappy
    SmileBeHappy Posts: 9,124 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i have to say a few things...dnt wana cause a fuss coz i myself think £80 for an individual at david lloys is pricey but it is a good service. They are, as are most health clubs covered by the 3month cancellation fee. Basically you give 3months notice so they are guarenteeed not to loose money out of you. The joining fee is there for a variety of reasons, yes to help with pay, with maintaining the club and administration. Each individual may have a different view but whatever happens, its there whether ppl like it or not.
    Clearly the prices aren't a problem for many as health clubs in general have many members meaning they have a high profit. As it goes for anything, if you arent happy with the price you have to pay- dnt pay it!!
    Im 16 so theres n way i could afford the membership (£25) but getting it free is a bonus.
    Id just like to say obviously i can only say from what i know but its not cheap to run a health club, to keep it well maintained, to pay staff etc. They have to rake in profit to keep the buisness going. If they had too little members they would have to lower prices but clearly many dnt mind paying whatever rate their club charges so its ok.
    you get what you pay for, my leisure centres rough, yer its cheaper, but its the lifestyle of a health club you pay for!!
    Laura
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport