PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

To dye or not to dye - that is the question.

OK, I bought a lovely white summer dress off Ebay for 99p (hooray) for my hols. It fits perfectly, and looks fantastic - what a bargain.

However it is see through :eek: :rotfl: :eek: :rotfl:

Now - will dying it a darker colour limit it's see-throughness? I think it might.

Which leads me to - how do I do this? Are the instructions on the side of packets of Dylon accurate, or are there any experienced dyers out there who can add a 'whatever you do, don't do / do do this' bit of wisdom?

"It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D

Comments

• Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If its see through then its probably because it is thin fabric. You may think its less see thru if its dyed, so it may be worth dyeing anyway!
    Is it 100% cotton? then it will dye perfectly. The old fashioned tins of dylon are great and you can dye in a bucket - a fave summer pastime of mine when i was a kid:)
    Make sure you add the salt and add enough, it makes the dye 'bite'
    Wear rubber gloves.
    Open the tin or packet carefully.
    Don't be tempted to try and do it in less time than stated on the packet. They are quite accurate, but if you have something thats 10% polyester, then that 10% will not dye, just the cotton part of the fibres.
    Had you thought of being really old style and dyeing with onion skins (colours from yellowy beige to brown) or nettles (green)
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    !!!!!!, it's viscose - will it dye?
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

• Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    viscose is a material which i think is made from natural plant (i.e. not oil based) materials, so I think it will dye
    Have you checked out the dylon website?
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Went to the Dylon site - off to buy some dye tomorrow!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've only ever used the dylon washing machine dyes (I'm too lazy to be bothered with a bucket, gloves etc).

Their washing machine dyes have come up trumps for me every time, sometimes refreshing old and faded favourites so that they look like new. As someone else posted, do remember to use enough salt. I always put the washing machine through an empty cycle afterwards, just to make sure that all traces of dye are removed.

Pink
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I would agree with that Pink. I have used the washing machine ones several times to dye duvet covers, sheets, pillow slips etc and towels are particularly good.

Bit more expensive than the tins but you could add it some towels or sheets etc once you have picked the colour you want to dye the dress.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    Had you thought of being really old style and dyeing with onion skins (colours from yellowy beige to brown) or nettles (green)

Sarah have you ever tried this? Does it work?

Pink
  • Sarahsaver
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My sis did this when she did her HND in theatre wardrobe. They had to make period costumes only using techniques available from the time the clothes were from. The clothes were beautiful muted natural colours. I will ask her.
    I did used to dye boiled eggs for easter using onion skins.
    I have done reading too!
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    If it won't dye, you could wear a silky chemise underneath.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    I have used the machine wash dyes before and they are great.

Just one thing to remember - the 'cotton' used to sew up the dress will probably be made of polyester and won't dye.

This doesn't effect things like duvet covers but on things like jeans where the stiching is clearly designed to be a pattern on the outside of the jeans it can be a problem. I bought some blue jeans with yellow stiching and dyed them black, I now have black jeans with yellow stiching. Just a thought if you have stiched detail on the dress this will stay white.
    Sarahsaver wrote:

We did this at school. Each student used a different vegetable with varying results. I used a carrot :rolleyes: it was cr*p :D. The veg you use has to either make a lot of juice or colour the water if you boil it in it. Can't remember many of the veggies used but I do remember beetroot gave a fantastic bright pink colour.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure