PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

moss on driveway..how do i kill it???

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,545
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Try sprinkling soda crystals on and leaving it for an hour or so. Rinse with hot water and scrub with a brush.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Lydia_2
    Lydia_2 Posts: 145
    First Post
    Forumite
    Thats where I was going wrong, I didnt expect to find the weed killer posts under food. Thanks both of you I got there in the end. :j I need a lie down now.
  • I always use a dilute mixture on Jeyes Fluid - works wonders... :D and also use it for sterilising drains and cleaning flower pots and general cleaning jobs outside. They have instructions on the can and its available from garden centres and hardware stores.

I just put a couple of capfuls in the watering can, stir well and sprinkle over the mossy/algae area area on the drive and path then leave it or you wait for an hour then use a stiff broom to scrub it away. You can use it at any time of the year.

Its worth remembering that moss will always grow where conditions for it are good - it will always come back unless these conditions for its survival are removed. So some areas around my place, such as the path which is partly in shade and often damp in winter needs periodic treatment to keep it safe and not slippery.

Hope this helps. :D
    :)The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

:)"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,658
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Armatillox used to be sold as good for removing moss from patios. Then new EU regulations meant they couldn't sell it as a mosskiller. So now it's sold as a 'soap based cleaner' which sounds pathetic. but I'm told it is still the same stuff
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Lydia wrote: »
    Michelle, I've looked in the mega index and I cant find a gardening section. Can you tell me where it is? I have always used jayes fluid and it works well but I'd be interested in trying the hot vinegar to see how it compares.
    If you pour Jayes Fluid, or other chemical into the environment as a moss killer, weed killer, or any kind of pest control you are breaking the protection of the environment act 1965.

The best legal option is a cleaning product called 'Country Fresh' available from places like 'Scats' or 'Country Stores'.

Or you could just use a cheap jet-washer, like the ones from 'Argos' for less the £30, and wash it away at no extra cost once a year!
  • Good job the rest of us use Jeyes Fluid then!
    Tee Hee
    cjwj
  • Copper repels moss so a solution of copper phosphate will do it
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • I have a (fake) sandstone coloured patio in a north facing back garden and it gets green so very quickly. I use a mixture of biological washing powder/bleach/soda crystals and boiling water to clean the slabs, and a good stiff brush to scrub. I've always avoided Jeyes fluid as on the tin it says to keep away from pets, especially cats - and I'm not sure exactly how far you'd have to dilute it for it to be safe.
  • Justagardener
    Justagardener Posts: 307
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 November 2018 at 7:00PM
    Having gardened for nearly 30 years, I have poured hundreds of pounds of chemicals on moss on drives, roofs and even tennis courts!. This year, 2016, after a lot of research I have finally found a solution which kills moss without fail and is cheap and not a nasty chemical. it's sodium percarbonate. Most will know it as an ingredient in " vanish" the stain remover. Bought in raw form, sodium percarbonate can be mixed with water and poured or sprayed on moss and will kill it in very short order. You can also put it in your wash, it cleans garden decks and furniture brilliantly too and doesn't kill grass of plants.
    https://theperfectgarden.co.uk/home-garden-cleaner-and-moss-killer/
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 5,988
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have the same problem, spent a few weeks removing the moss by hand from all the brick edges!

Can you tell me how much you use when you dilute it justagardner?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure