PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

slow cooker curry

Comments

• I have tried the indexed section but cant get the link to work from my pc:o

I would like to attempt a chicken curry overnight in the slow cooker.

I am still a novice with the slow cooker and need a nice easy recipe? Can I use a carcus for this or would it be best with more chicken portions?:o

If some could point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.:D
    :grinheart I've caught it - The TESCO bug!!:grinheart
    Tesco points have paid for Florida holiday this year
    'Kids now have 'womblitis':rotfl:

I :heart2: MSE
    £2 savings 2008 = £46
    Quidco £244.95 PAID 2007 - £54.62 received to date
    Kids Finders keepers jar £5.99 -since 26/5/07
  • Personally I have never had success with cooking a whole chicken or using the carcass in the slow cooker as it had tended to break up. I haven't the patience to sit and pick teeny bones out of my food before or as I am eating it...but if this does not worry you then why not have a go...just be careful and don't go choking.:eek:

I like to use chicken breast ( not the cheapest option I know ) and I cut it into small chunks using a pair of scissors.

If you have a carcass with cooked meat ready to pick off....what I do is use the hob...fry up some onion in spices and a drop of oil, then add chopped apple, a spoonful or two of chutney or pickle and tin of toms......cook a few mins and add cooked chicken for 10 mins or so until thoroughly heated through. Done this way the flavour does not get right into the chicken meat but it still makes a passable supper dish.

oh and it helps to puree or mash up the tin of toms first or used ready chopped in a tin.

just re-read your post....any curry sauce will do...if you do not put veg in with it, just make sure there is enough liquid to see ya through the night, there is no sadder sight than a dried up curry :eek:

Dunno if this is the kind of reply you were after but HTH

Just remember the more you practise with the slow cooker the more you will get a feel for what is right....go ahead and have a go!

BW Luca
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    I was gonna make a chicken casserole tongiht, but hubby said he fancies a curry.

i ahve loads of the value 4p sauce but i'd like to do soemthing different.

also i'd like to sling it all in slow cooker.

does anyone have any recipes please .
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    oohhh thought better say what i got in, lol

i have curry power, loads of diff spices, lentils, veggies, sultanas , apples , chopped toms ( although not too keen on these in a curry) , jars of pataks curry paste ( corriander and cumin , no idea why i have this ), onions i have qute alot in really as it was shopping day. but making a curry from scratch is a new one on me. however i am determind i can do it, lol.

Thanks in advance
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    To start my curries in a slow cooker I first fry an onion on a low heat till it is soft, then add a medium curry powder with spray oil. Brown the meat, add to slow cooker with chopped tomatoes, peppers, orange lentils, mushrooms, chillis (if you fancy some extra heat, either chopped or whole)

When you get home, you can add some plain fromage frais (low fat option) or yogurt to cool it if too spicy.

Add a sprinkle of garam masala towards end of cooking (10mins?) and stir in.

Job done.
    Tim
  • Hi there, I recently went to a party and someone had brought a slow cooker full of vegetable curry.the sauce was dark red in colour and it wasn't creamy in any way. It was find of like a lightly spiced ratatouille i guess. My description is awful but the thing is i cannot stop thinking about this dish as it was delicious!!!!i have looked through here for a recipe and can't seem to find anything similar.

Does anyone have any ideas on how i could make something like this?thank you!
  • skiTTish
    skiTTish Posts: 1,385 Forumite
    They probably made their own curry sauce with powder and tinned toms ,the recipe is usually on the back of whatever brand of curry powder you buy :)
  • Bongedone
    Bongedone Posts: 2,457 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I make a red curry by Madhur Jaffrey. Uses lots of paprika which makes it a dark red colour. Its is not vegetarian though.
  • LilacPixie
    LilacPixie Posts: 8,052 Forumite
    just tinned tomato lots of spices and whatever veg/meat you want. I use star anaise, nigella seeds, whole cloves, garm masala, paprika, tumeric, chili and cumin seeds in mine
    MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
    MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D
  • shazzle
    shazzle Posts: 114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Onions, mushrooms, peppers, white cabbage, water, stock cube, garlic, ginger, chilli, fresh coriander, chopped tinned tomatoes, curry powder to your liking
    Chuck it all in, high 3 (low 6) hours leave to cool in crockpot overnight for best flavour.....DONE lol x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure