PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Dinner (preparing in advance)

Comments

• weemissy
    weemissy Posts: 159 Forumite
    Advice please - got my M&S turkey crown today for family meal on boxing day, bought an extra big one thinking I would cook it, slice it, put the remainder in freezer for meals later on as I do with my chicken, but says on the container not to reheat:eek:. Surely this cant be right?
    :hello:there's me, OH, DS 10, DD 7,
    and our deranged border collie - sadly put to sleep Aug 23rd 09 :cry: now have our GSD x collie oct 10
  • hayley11
    hayley11 Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the tip about cooking the turkey the day before, slicing it and reheating it in gravy, sounds yummy. Definitely going to do that this year. I don't think i'm going to do anything else the day before because knowing me i'll mess it up and my MIL already thinks i've "taken too much on" - because i'm making 3 different veg, roasties, mash, stuffing, yorkies, pigs in blanket etc :confused: My MIL bless her just does a normal sunday roast for christmas dinner, no turkey, no extras at all, whereas I like to do something a bit special.

I'm cooking dinner for 5 people, haven't cooked dinner for a few years but I cooked for 10 people one year so this shouldn't be too hard.
    :heart: Think happy & you'll be happy :heart:
    I :heart2: my doggies
  • Today I have roasted and put in freezer potatoes and parsnips, Made up pigs in blankets and stuffing balls also into freezer. Will blanch the carrots and freeze them so only turkey and sprouts to do on Christmas day. I am a bit worried that something will go wrong, the potatoes and parsnips tasted heavenly today so hope they will taste as good. I watched Jamie last evening so just chucked garlic cloves and rosemary into veggies as he does but also coated parnsips in honey. Have organic turkey this year as it just cost £7. OH watched Jamie carving and was so impressed he will try it that way, nice thick slices. Bought home made mincemeat and puff pastry and made this into a long roll (Jamie again) so keeping my fingers crossed that everything will be ok on day, I certainly will be.;)
  • rev229
    rev229 Posts: 1,045 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Mortgage-free Glee!
    the turkey I will either re-heat in the microwave or the oven with gravy. The microwave if I don't put gravy on it as it reheats it very quickly.
  • kippers
    kippers Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I thought it would be interesting to hear what you are all doing today and tomorrow to prepare for your xmas day dinner/tea/nibbles (it may also remind us of things we may have forgotten to do).

Today i will be:

defrosting turkey
    peeling potatoes and putting in water
    making caramel shortbread
    making chocolate log (my DD1 & DD2 decorate a shop bought swiss roll with buttericing and xmas decs)
    cleaning
    Put wine/beers in the fridge in case anyone pops in before xmas (if they will fit)

Xmas eve i will be:

Peeling & chopping carrots/parnips and leave in water overnight
    Prepare brussell / cauliflower and leave in plastic bag (in fridge) overnight
    Defrost mincepies
    Defrost mini quiches
    Make cobs so fresh for xmas day

I think i've thought of everything i'll be doing.

Have a merry xmas all

:xmassign: :xmastree: :xmassign:
  • Hi there - some great ideas :j I'll add this to the existing thread.
    • I've made mince pies, sausage rolls and pigs in blankets, and they're frozen.
    • I'll be preparing the goose stuffing today, and then getting it all prepared tomorrow so that it can sit in the kitchen overnight to come to room temperature.
    • pudding has been maturing in the pantry for some weeks
    • chanpagne, wine,beer, fizzy water, soft drinks in the fridge.
    • loads of ice in the freezer
    • lots of lists :D
    Apart from that we do most of the lunch preparation on the day - DH and I love the being in the kitchen together, children wandering in and out eating ;) and chatting while we relax.

Have a lovely Christmas :xmassign:

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • Made the cranberry sauce and the sage-sausage stuffing-balls on the weekend. Latter went into the freezer and is now defrosting in the fridge.

Yesterday I put the frozen turkey in the fridge to thaw, and the gammon in the (unplugged) slow-cooker to do the same. Peeled potatoes for making mash.

Today I have made and refrigerated the mash, and chopped carrots and peeled shallots and put them in a ziploc bag, ready to roast tomorrow (we eat our Xmas dinner tomorrow evening). They'll be cooked with brussels sprouts and baby beetroot. Also having roast parsnips, but they are just sitting in the veg drawer until tomorrow. Have also wrapped bacon around chipolatas this morning. Gammon is now soaking. Have thawed bread and home-made stock for second kind of stuffing. Will peel more potatoes later and leave in water, for ease of making roasties tomorrow. Will thaw more stock overnight for tomorrow's gravy.

Tomorrow morning I'll prep the gammon and cook it in the slow-cooker, make herb butter for turkey, prep the turkey, put it in the oven, toast walnuts and cut bread for stuffing and get that started, reheat the mash in smaller slow-cooker, parboil then roast the potatoes, roast the various veg, chipolatas, take the turkey out and rest it while everything else finishes off and I make gravy. Then we'll stuff ourselves silly and tuck the children into bed :-)
  • mon1o
    mon1o Posts: 749 Forumite
    To be honest i havent done anything as yet! In a little bit im gonna clean my house which wont take long as its not that bad and then im gonna have to do the following:

* coat mozzarella in breadcrumbs and other herbs and freeze until xmas day when it will be cooked from frozen (this is our starter)
    *peel potatoes and mash one half and keep in fridge, roast other half and freeze.
    *boil carrots and parsnips coat carrots in honey and freeze, coat parsnips in butter and freeze,
    *make up pigs in blankets and either keep in fridge or freeze
    *make my boozy chocolate mousse

Tomorrows jobs are:
    * make up my xmas pudding ice cream (should have been done today but cant find sweet sherry!)
    *make pasta and sauce, keep in fridge
    *make sauce to go with my mozzarella
    *make stuffing and keep in fridge
    *cook green beans and sprouts keep in fridge and reheat on xmas day
    *cook and slice my turkey
    *arrange my cheese board
    *set my table

and of course make sure presents go under tree when kids are in bed! We are having a massive meal, but we are an italian family so it goes with the territory lol. I have written myself a schedule for xmas day and it should (fingers crossed!) go according to plan!

Monica x
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    put the broccoli on to blanch and then the phone rang..........I'm sure you can guess the rest :o :rolleyes:
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Mon1o, Sorry if these are silly questions but mozerrella in breadcrumbs - are there any other ingredients, can you do this with other cheeses and doesn't it all melt when heated? (I'm still learning.....)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure