Removing drip tray from a Beko fridge freezer - help!

Hi all

I am currently in the process of cleaning up our (not very!) old Beko fridge freezer in order to sell it as we have a new bigger one given to us.

The only trouble I'm having is removing the drip tray at the back. It *should* be removable - the directions say there is a 'lug' on the tray which needs depressing with the tip of a screwdriver, then the tray can be pulled up and taken out. However, I can't work out which bit is the lug and can hardly reach in with a screwdriver as there's not much room to manoeuvre!

Anyone done the same - I want to get it sorted as now I've unplugged the fridge freezer, the drip tray reeks!:eek:

Dealing with my debts!
Currently overpaying Virgin cc -
balance Jan 2010 @ 1985.65
Now @ 703.63

Comments

• BargainGalore
    BargainGalore Posts: 5,243 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you cant what I did with my freezer was used a turkey baster to suck the water up
  • I had this problem with two Beko fridges I bought in the past couple of years, so I called the manufacturer.

They told me the drip tray, contrary to the user instruction info, cannot be removed. They said they are aware that this is a problem, but haven't a fix for it. Cleaning it in situ is a very unpleasant operation! Not impressed.
  • aboard_epsilon
    aboard_epsilon Posts: 546 Forumite
    edited 8 September 2010 at 8:31PM
    its a good idea ..every so often to put a teaspoon full if dilute disinfectant down the drain hole at the back of the fridge compartment ..

this will stop mold growing and blocking it up ..there by, you wont have to bother with cleaning any trays ever .

all the best.markj
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    This might work (just thought this up so....?)

Get a flexible tube (maybe from an aquarium supplies shop, maybe a short length of hose pipe) about a foot long.

Get a washing up bowl.

Fill the tube completely with water and cover both ends with your thumbs.

Stick one end in the tray, take off thumb, stick the other end in bowl, below the tray level, take off thumb.

Should work like a syphon.
  • have just removed tray easily.if you work the tray from side to side putting more pressure on each time it DOES work itself lose just dont wear any clean clothes while doing it!!!:j:eek:
  • Jo_R wrote: »
    Hi all

I am currently in the process of cleaning up our (not very!) old Beko fridge freezer in order to sell it as we have a new bigger one given to us.

The only trouble I'm having is removing the drip tray at the back. It *should* be removable - the directions say there is a 'lug' on the tray which needs depressing with the tip of a screwdriver, then the tray can be pulled up and taken out. However, I can't work out which bit is the lug and can hardly reach in with a screwdriver as there's not much room to manoeuvre!

Anyone done the same - I want to get it sorted as now I've unplugged the fridge freezer, the drip tray reeks!:eek:

If you move the tray from side to side it will come out without breaking the lug more pressure on it each time!!
  • Having removed the drip tray with great difficulty, and I'm no weakling, I cut the protruding barbs off the clip with a sharp knife before replacing the tray.
    No problem any more.

Note to self:- must not upset pot of cream inside fridge again.
  • martinthebandit
    martinthebandit Posts: 4,422 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think this is one of those occasions when my Grandad was right,

If brute force doesn't work, your not using enough of it.

:D
  • Removing drip tray from beko fridge grip tray and move it from side to side screw fashion while pulling quite hard this breaks the two small grippers on side of lugs when out cut the remaining grippers off with sharp knife fit back and the tray will slide in and out like the shelves in fridge there is no way the tray will fall out as the slot is quite big
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure