The start of the change

Hey,

How are you all doing?

I'm fairly new to the whole forum thing, but I've got to get out of debt, and quickly!

Over the last 16 years, I've been what can only be described as "a bit of a moron".

I've spent money that I shouldn't have on credit cards, then consolidated into a loan, then spent it all again, repeat until the level of debt I have is frightening me. I thought it was about 10k, but last night, I realised it's close to double that. Ooops!

The sleepless nights and sudden feelings of panic are now so normal that that I can't remember that last time I felt good about things.

On valentines day my partner decided she wanted to take a massive step back from our relationship, so here I am, 33 and living back at home with my parents. I need to get out of debt, get a house/flat/tent, basically sort my life out and finally get control of my finances.

Luckily I have very few outgoings, I'm fortunate enough that my parents won't charge me rent. My biggest problem is my appalling discipline.

I'll do a full SOA and post on here later. Any advice or tips you can fire over would be awesome super great.

Thanks in advance for your support, and please feel free to tell it to me straight, I can be a bit of an idiot and frank, direct feedback is probably what I need. Keep it friendly though, sometimes I get a bit emotional!
Dischared June 2018. Time to rebuid!

Comments

• Hi

Firstly well done for coming here and sharing your storey with everyone. Secondly I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are having with your relationship. I hope things work out for you.

There is no shame in moving back with your parents, in fact this could be the perfect opportunity for you to get your life back on track. No rent/mortgage to pay means that you can really chip away at those debts.

As we haven't seen your SOA yet I cant say whether or not a DMP is the way to go. However you could always have a look at Step changes website and fill in their debt remedy tool, this will give you a list of possible solutions, until the experts on here come along with more advice.

I to built my debt in the same manner as yourself and have absolutely nothing to show for it and a lot of people are in the same boat. Nobody will have a go at you, the main thing is to get your spending under control and get a plan into place to pay back what you owe.

Good luck with everything.
  • Perhaps the level of debt was stressing your partner out and perhaps they couldn't cope with you being so stressed out and irritable with itall? Hopefully by getting a plan in place and begining to tackle the debts you will begin to feel better in yourself (which can only help in terms of your relationship).
    Best of Luck
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,896
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite

I've spent money that I shouldn't have on credit cards, then consolidated into a loan, then spent it all again, repeat until the level of debt I have is frightening me. I thought it was about 10k, but last night, I realised it's close to double that. Ooops!

!

That rings a bell with me - you are certainly not the only one to have gone down this route several times.

At least now you are facing up to it.

Sorry to hear about your partner - but its great that you have the support of your parents and this forum. Make the most of the time you can live with your parents to turn your situation around.

Wishing you the best of luck.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • So this is my SOA as of this month now I'm back at my parents. Whilst living with my partner I was covering a lot more costs. So the situation really isn't that bad. I can see a way out of it, I just need to actually be sensible. Must resist temptation to win back the other half with grand gestures of weekends in Venice and fancy meals. Going to be picnics in the park and walks along the river instead. Romance doesn't have to cost thousands if you put in a little effort!

Statement of Affairs & Personal Balance Sheet

Summary

Monthly Budget Summary Amount(£)
    Total monthly income 1,300
    Monthly expenses (incl. HP & secured loans) 532.5
    Available for debt repayments 767.5
    UNsecured debt repayments 240
    Amount left after debt repayments 527.5
    Personal Balance Sheet Summary Amount(£)
    Total Assets (things you own) 500
    Total Secured & HP Debt -0
    Total Unsecured Debt -17,300
    Net Assets -16,800
    Income, Expense, Debt & Asset Details

Income Amount(£)
    Monthly income after tax 1300
    Partners monthly income 0
    Benefits 0
    Other income 0
    Total monthly income 1300
    Expenses Amount(£)
    Mortgage 0
    Secured/HP loan payments 0
    Rent 0
    Management charge (leasehold property) 0
    Council tax 0
    Electricity 0
    Gas 0
    Oil 0
    Water Rates 0
    Telephone (land line) 0
    Mobile phone 10
    TV Licence 0
    Satellite/Cable TV 0
    Internet services 0
    Groceries etc. 0
    Clothing 0
    Petrol/diesel 200
    Road tax 12.5
    Car Insurance 25
    Car maintenance (including MOT) 35
    Car Parking 0
    Other travel 0
    Childcare/nursery 0
    Other child related expenses 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentists, opticians etc.) 0
    Pet Insurance/Vet bills 10
    Buildings Insurance 0
    Contents Insurance 0
    Life Assurance 0
    Other Insurance 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc.) 40
    Haircuts 0
    Entertainment 100
    Holiday 100
    Emergency Fund 0
    Total monthly expenses 532.5
    Secured & HP Debt Description Debt(£) Monthly(£) APR(%)
    Mortgage 0 (0) 0
    Secured & HP Debt totals 0 - -
    Unsecured Debt Description Debt(£) Monthly(£) APR(%)
    Barclaycard 8800 140 28
    HSBC Card 1000 20 26
    MBNA Card 1000 20 26
    Overdraft 3000 0 27
    Virgin Card 3500 60 25
    Unsecured Debt totals 17300 240 -
    Asset Description Value (£)
    Cash 0
    House Value (Gross) 0
    Shares and bonds 0
    Car(s) 0
    Other assets (e.g. endowments, jewellery etc) 500
    Total Assets 500
    Comments on the results

You have sufficient monthly income to meet your expenses and your minimum monthly debt repayments with £527.5 left over. You can use this to pay off your debts more quickly or to build/top-up an emergency fund.
  • It's 1:30 and I can't sleep. I can't believe I'm 17k in debt. This is horrible. What have I done. :-(
  • It's 1:30 and I can't sleep. I can't believe I'm 17k in debt. This is horrible. What have I done. :-(

You've had your light bulb moment and you've started on the path to a debt free future. Be proud of yourself for that. You have the ability, both willfully (with help from the good folk on here plus the help of your folks) and financially, given that you have £500+ to pay debts each month. Try not to beat yourself up too much, you've taken a massive step forward.
  • Oh, and only thing I look at on SOA is the holiday budget. £100 a month is a lot, could you half it or even just knock of £25? The more you can throw at your debts the quicker you'll be free.
  • I did exactly the same as you and was nearly 50 before I saw sense. It took me a while to pay off the debt.

I then paid off my mortgage and decided never to have credit again.

I don't have much money, but I know I can live on very little.

There must be huge numbers of people who still haven't realised what they are getting into.

You are on the path to getting out of debt. Well done.:T
    Aiming to get healthy in 2014.
  • Unsecured Debt Description Debt(£) Monthly(£) APR(%)
    Barclaycard 8800 140 28
    HSBC Card 1000 20 26
    MBNA Card 1000 20 26
    Overdraft 3000 0 27
    Virgin Card 3500 60 25
    Unsecured Debt totals 17300 240 -

Comments on the results

You have sufficient monthly income to meet your expenses and your minimum monthly debt repayments with £527.5 left over. You can use this to pay off your debts more quickly

Your APRs are very high and I assume these are minimum payments?

You could use the snowball calculator

http://www.whatsthecost.com/snowball.aspx

Pay minimums on everything except your highest interest debt, currently Barclaycard, when that has gone, go onto the next one etc.

That's the best way to reduce interest costs but because you have a couple of small debts at similar interest rates, HSBC and MBNA, it could be more motivating to clear those first, and with your spare funds, each could be gone in a couple of months.

You appear to have a true LBM and be in good shape to deal with your debts. Your debts could be gone in 31 months but if you can throw a bit of extra money at them, by adjusting your SOA, it could be even quicker.

Good luck and please let us know how you get on :)
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • I really need to move my debt onto 0%. Problem is, I can't believe anybody would offer me more credit with the amount of debt I'm in.

Any suggestions welcome.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family