We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

How long do chilli seeds take to germinate?!

Comments

• lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Mine haven't germinated yet either :-( I've had them in a propagator next to a south facing window and the toms have come up but none of the chillis or peppers have. I guess its not warm enough!

Soo.....do they need light as well as warmth? Would putting them next to a radiator thats on for ~3 hours a day help? I could put them next to the hall radiator but there's not much light in there or I could move them to another south facing widowsill that has a radiator under it.

Thanks
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I don't think you need light to germinate the seeds, just heat (not too much, I guess). Once the seeds are out, then they would need light, i would have thought.
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • Pixiechic
    Pixiechic Posts: 801 Forumite
    ginvzt wrote: »
    I don't think you need light to germinate the seeds, just heat (not too much, I guess). Once the seeds are out, then they would need light, i would have thought.

I have put mine in the airing cupboard, no light but nice and warm. I hope they don't need light until they are out. Can anyone confirm that please? :)
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794
    First Post
    Forumite
    This is a germination list for peppers in general, giving the number of days to germination and the percentage of seeds that germinate at that temperature. So it seems 20 degrees is the optimum temperature for success. :D

10 degrees C 25 days (70% germination) :(
    15 degrees C 13 days (96% germination
    20 degrees C 8 days (98% germination) :D
    25 degrees C 8 days (95% germination)
    30 degrees C 9 days (70% germination) :(
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pixiechic wrote: »
    I have put mine in the airing cupboard, no light but nice and warm. I hope they don't need light until they are out. Can anyone confirm that please? :)

Nope they definitely don`t need light, mine all have shoots and they`ve just been potted up today :j

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • lisa26_2
    lisa26_2 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Having posted on here earlier I came home to find a few little green shoots have started to peep through! Will leave them where they are for now and hope that a few more appear!!
  • tink1981_2
    tink1981_2 Posts: 194 Forumite
    Moved pots to the airing cupboard on wednesday and when went to check the boiler there were 4 shoots coming through... yeay!! :D
    :j

Sealed Pot Challenge #1505

'you wouldn't worry about what people think, if you realised how seldom they do'
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    smk77 wrote: »
    Enjoy your Naga's!!

Towards the end of the year strip all the foliage off to over winter them so they look something like this (taken from thechilliking.com)

Ready-For-Winter.jpg
    I never knew you could strip them down that much. I'll have to remember that for the end of the year.
    Thanks.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • smk77
    smk77 Posts: 3,669
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I never knew you could strip them down that much. I'll have to remember that for the end of the year.
    Thanks.

yep, just give them water when needed to keep them ticking over. You should also re-pot them with some nice fresh compost.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2011 at 2:37PM
    smk77 wrote: »
    You should also re-pot them with some nice fresh compost.
    In spring, or when you cut them down for the winter?
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure