DSA - travel expenses

Options
Hey,
Has anyone got any experience with these?
The forms say 'reasonable travel expenses'.
I need to come home twice a week for physio, which is either a four hour train ride or a 40 minute car drive.
I don't currently own a car but am trying to save up for one, and hopefully will get a call saying I got a good job today!
But running it would be expensive, with tax and insurance. Could I ask for help? I wouldn't be taking one if I didn't need to travel so much...

Anyone help?
Thanks
Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:

Comments

• Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This wouldn't be covered under DSA, as it's for the additional cost due to your disability from your home to the HEI.
  • HopeAndDriftWood
    Options
    Even though if I wasn't disabled I wouldn't need to go back to the hospital?
    Uni is suddenly seeming quite unlikely for me.
    Any ideas where I could apply too for help?
    Signature down for maintenance :rotfl:
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    Options
    Taiko is right but it's worth filling out the forms anyway. You may get support for books/stationary which will save you money which you can then spend on transport.
    Also, you could try the NHS travel costs scheme, it's normally for people on benefits but they may be able to help.
    You may also want to consider moving your physio to somewhere nearer to university. Even with travel costs covered, you will find it difficult to travel home so often if you are also studying a full time course.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you need to go home for physiotherapy? Could you not get your new GP to refer you for treatment at a hospital closer to your university? Or even your current hospital to transfer you across directly?
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport