PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

removing paint from clothes?

Hi there!

Have tried to follow the link in the thread collections but no luck, so want to ask the above question....

I leaned on some wet paint (black paint, white jumper :mad: ) whilst at work, so it was totally dry by the time I could do anything about it.

I tried soaking jumper in hot soapy water to no effect....

Is there anything else I can try that will make it wearable again? :confused:

Thanks!

Comments

• Gingernutmeg
    Gingernutmeg Posts: 3,454 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    What kind of paint was it? I find that emulsion will wash out (eventually) but if it was gloss or acrylic then it's going to be a pain to get out. You could try carefully dabbing it with some white spirit and then washing it as normal, but this tends to work best on really fresh stains.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Hmm... depends very much on the type of paint and also the material the jumper is made out of.

If the above ideas don't work you could try paint brush cleaner. You would definitely need to test this somewhere out of view (like the inside of a cuff) on a small area to make sure that it won't damage the jumper.

ps.gif If you paste the link that doesn't work in your reply here, I will see if I can sort it out.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sorry to hijack your thread but I have glue on one of my black work skirts (from vinyl tile removal from kitchen floor last week). White spirit for that too squeaky? I have tried the ice cube test and also put skirt in freezer but it is still there.

GB xx
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread but I have glue on one of my black work skirts (from vinyl tile removal from kitchen floor last week). White spirit for that too squeaky? I have tried the ice cube test and also put skirt in freezer but it is still there.

GB xx

Hi Grannybroon,

The suggestions on this thread might help:

Glue on clothes

Pink
  • Hi! thanks for replies.
    Really not sure what the paint is, it's not glossy (neither on my jumper or in its intended location (the edges of a stage in a venue). The jumper is synthetic (I'll check exactly what), a sort of wool, fine, fluffy-ish effect.

Squeaky, now to try the link:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=526025#post526025

but this link did work:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=75602#post75602

sorry! should have looked a bit harder!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    alex_w wrote: »

The first one is definitely dead. It will have been added into a similar thread after the index was done. I've now remoced it.

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • I went to put my Red Cashmere mix coat on this morning to find some rather large spots of white gloss paint on the bottom, its dry!! How do I get this out? Can I get it out?
  • whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    I would ring round a few dry cleaners and see if any have any suggestions or think they will be able to get it out.
    Has it soaked in, or is it sat on top of the pile?

I would be wary of trying too many home remedies as the colour may fade.

Final thought....how long is it and is having it shortened an option :confused.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • Its a just below knee coat so I could have it shortened especially as there are only 4 buttons as far as my hips, but Its almost brand new and I'm so upset.

I'll try some dry cleaners. :(

I haven't had a good look at it, but think it is just sat on top of the pile. I was in a rush on the way out this morning and was so upset by it I just took it off again and ran out (typical there was a fire drill, it was freezing and I had no coat with me!!)
  • If all else fails and it is not too short a pile trim it very gently with super sharp scissors. Only do this though if desperate. I agree with whatatwit - be careful with chemicals as in my experience nothing works once dried. You could contact a paint company for recommendations?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure