• dnc1781
    dnc1781 Posts: 184
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When should a Cam Belt be changed on a 52 Freelander? :confused:

http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/cars.aspx?numModel=255
    Freelander 1997-2003
    - states:

"....the cam belt must be changed every 72k miles on petrol engines and every 48k on diesel engines."

"Changing the belt will cost £200.

It will cost £700 - £1000 to have the engine repaired if the belt fails."
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    Thread added to the Motoring Board A-Z, keep the info coming peeps :beer: :D
  • iluvmylexus
    iluvmylexus Posts: 180 Forumite
    most cars need the belt changed at the 60k mark ford focus is either 90 or 100k i would always change the tensioners and pulley while doing the belt (i have seen the damage when the pulley hasnt been changed) the belt itself is probably only a tenner but it is a big job to do and probably not done if you dont have the experience as the timing marks have to be exactly right

any doubts chnge it right away
    speed is good
  • The mechanic at the garage I take my car to said it should be changed every 3 years or 50,000 miles which ever comes first. Don't know if that's a general rule of thumb or specific to my car (Rover 200)

I brought my car 18 months ago and hadn't a clue when the cambelt was last changed, so I had it changed in January when I had it serviced and I was charged £160 (service & cambelt change). I was told it would cost over £600 to repair the damage if it snapped.

LMS xx
    Mortgage Balance 1st May 2009 £94749.00 :(
    Current End Date 1st April 2039.
    Total Overpayments to date £950.00 :j
  • Viz_2
    Viz_2 Posts: 720 Forumite
    My petrol Ford Focus is due its first cam belt change now at 91k miles. I think Ford wanted £270 ish when I got a quote.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
  • Stephen_Leak
    Stephen_Leak Posts: 8,762
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    For my Mk.2 Mondeo's Zetec-E engine, it is every 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes sooner.

The old Ford CVH engine's metal pulleys and tensioners used to eat cambelts, so they were replaced with plastic ones on the Zetec. Now, whilst the belt lasts longer, the plastic wheels become brittle with age and the heat from the engine. The results of these failing are every bit as catastrophic as the belt failing.

Also, very early Mk.2's had a potential problem of the cambelt actually hitting the top of the cambelt cover when the engine was started from cold. This was fixed by introducing a slightly higher cambelt cover.
    The acquisition of wealth is no longer the driving force in my life. :)
  • LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you're having work done that involves removing the belt, eg head gasket, get it changed anyway as the parts cost is minimal compared with the labour you are going to pay anyway. A decent garage will probably recommend this.
  • misfire
    misfire Posts: 507
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I had my cam belt done on my citroen ax - car had 74,000 miles on it - when my mechanic changed it he said it was nearly worn through and good job i got it changed!! it cost just shy of £200 pound (car had only cost me £300) but it needed doing.

My husbands R reg vectra (were talking about 4 years ago this happened) the cam belt snapped (although had been changed when it should) and did no end of damage to the car over £1,000 worth if i remember rightly.... i do remember the AA man doing that 'sucking in noise that means its gonna cost you a lot of money'- we got it repaired then Part ex it on a new car... we still had finance on it at the time so the whole thing was really costly. We had the car regulalry serviced at a proper garage and the belt changed i think it was just one of those things.
    Debt free May 2016 (without the support of MSE forum users that would never have been possible - thank you all)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure