PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

REALLY Stubborn limescale!

I have been using OS cleaning products and ideas for a few weeks now and am loving them, but I have a problem with extremely stubborn limescale under the rim of the toilet. Even mega powerful chemical stuff won't shift it completely. I need something which won't just drip down, but will adhere, like a paste, so that I can leave it on to work for a while. Has anyone got any ideas?
Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Have you tried a paste of vinegar and bicarb? that might help, as vinegar will remove limescale from taps, and the bicarb will help make it a paste, and give it an extra umpf!!!!
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I have been using OS cleaning products and ideas for a few weeks now and am loving them, but I have a problem with extremely stubborn limescale under the rim of the toilet. Even mega powerful chemical stuff won't shift it completely. I need something which won't just drip down, but will adhere, like a paste, so that I can leave it on to work for a while. Has anyone got any ideas?

Bicarb and vinegar in a paste. Worth a try.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    calleyw wrote:
    Bicarb and vinegar in a paste. Worth a try.

Yours

Calley

Definitely worth a try. It works like a dream. You might have to persevere but believe me, having cleaned three skanky toilets in rental flats for my son, this will work.
  • Katgoddess
    Katgoddess Posts: 1,821
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I read somewhere on here about someone who soaked toilet roll in vinegar and stuck it to the side of the toilet and left overnight. Kitchen roll would probably be easier to manage as it is larger.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Not very OS but i got some Cillit BANG (flippin silly name eh?) reduced in wilko's and by eck it works!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Chipps
    Chipps Posts: 1,550
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I was going to suggest the "stuff vinegar-soaked kitchen towel" method. It works around taps etc, so should work there.. although if anyone wants to use the loo in the night it might be a problem!!!!
    Vinegar is brilliant for just eating away limescale. Great stuff!
  • mossy
    mossy Posts: 1,263
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I tried cillit bang stuff but it couldn't shift the limescale on my bathroom taps so I'll give the vinegar paste a go.
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • Thanks for all your replies. :T I have read about people using white or distilled vinegar for cleaning - is that what you all use?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Thanks for all your replies. :T I have read about people using white or distilled vinegar for cleaning - is that what you all use?

Yes, i use the white distilled vinegar, but i do know lots of people do use normal malt vinegar without any staining!!!! I will prob use that (as it is cheaper) once ive used all my clear stuff!!!!!
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    catowen wrote:
    Yes, i use the white distilled vinegar, but i do know lots of people do use normal malt vinegar without any staining!!!! I will prob use that (as it is cheaper) once ive used all my clear stuff!!!!!

Don't use the brown vinegar on carpets. Otherwise, it is fine for everyday cleaning including in the whites wash in the washing machine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure