PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Free food at work

2»

Comments

• nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    I've recently started doing the same thing. I organise some very posh receptions for work from time to time - last week I came home with half a dozen large pieces of poached salmon, half a dozen chicken breasts marinated in something-or-other, lots of ratatouille, some really yummy cheese, a full bottle of wine (opened but not touched) and a bit of salad. I'd also given some leftovers to the security staff for lunch (they were v. grateful).

I get around accusations of being a cheapskate by simply saying that it would be criminal to throw away huge amounts of food at a time when the 'Stop Poverty' campaign is working so hard to improve the lot of people who are a lot worse off than us (I actually believe this........but I'm trying to save money too!). As soon as I said this, eveyone thought that it was a great idea to take leftovers home rather than throwing it in the bin, which is what used to happen. I now have a reputation for being a socially conscious, caring person and have saved lots of money on my weekly shopping bill!!!
  • filigree_2
    filigree_2 Posts: 1,025 Forumite
    My brother had a summer job at a wholefood cafe and brought home yummy leftovers almost every day, Mum was broke and very grateful for the free food which was often enough to provide an evening meal. Poor brother was a bit miffed - he already had a free wholefood lunch and spend all day cooking brown rice etc, I think he was desperate for a chicken nugget after a few weeks!

When I worked as a committee secretary I used to "tax" the lunch trolley before the meeting so I didn't have curly sandwiches ;) With several meetings a week and freebie biscuits I hardly ever had to buy my own lunch.

Is it my imagination, or does free food taste nicer than the stuff you pay for? :p
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Scrumped APPLES!!! YUM :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • crana999
    crana999 Posts: 573 Forumite
    if you are a student you can go to an endless succession of free lunches. the only down side is you have to listen to them going on about God.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Very funny thread here where this topic was covered back in August 2003 by Tim, the Board Guide for the Gambling Board.

Its always nice to read the old threads again ;)

I hadn't read Tim's thread before...........spent a large part of this afternoon crying with laughter!

Thanks for the pointer Edinburghlass.

Pink
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family